Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been without my Spyder since October. I've been awaiting a replacement DPS module as part of the recall. My local dealer finally got in a DPS unit, but it was for an RT model. I have a 2008 RS model.

I'm very frustrated. My local dealer is frustrated with the delay, too. Is there a number for Can-Am that I can call to get a human to speed up this process for me?!

Unhappy in Durham, NC

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been without my Spyder since October. I've been awaiting a replacement DPS module as part of the recall. My local dealer finally got in a DPS unit, but it was for an RT model. I have a 2008 RS model.

I'm very frustrated. My local dealer is frustrated with the delay, too. Is there a number for Can-Am that I can call to get a human to speed up this process for me?!

Unhappy in Durham, NC
I purchased my 2009 RS (used) back in November from a dealer in Findlay, OH. When I went to pick it up they told me after all the paperwork had been completed and I had paid them that there would be a 2 hour wait because they had to do a steering recall. As it turned out it was the DPS unit replacement. In less than 2 hours I was on the road back to Tennessee. Guess they had the parts on hand. I double checked with the local dealer here and he verified via my VIN that all recalls had been completed and that I was good to go.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There is a number in the owners manual that I called when I was in the same situation that you are in, however I got very little out of Can Am. Where are you in line as far as the dealer is concerned? For a while the dealer kept telling me that I was next in line but I thought that maybe they were fudging that a bit. I kept after the dealer and they finally got mine changed. I will say this it was worth the wait!

Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was first in line, until they delivered a DPS unit that was purportedly only for an RT model. I've been hounding the dealer, who has now agreed in frustration that if I can accomplish anything with Can-Am, I should try.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is a number in the owners manual that I called when I was in the same situation that you are in, however I got very little out of Can Am. Where are you in line as far as the dealer is concerned? For a while the dealer kept telling me that I was next in line but I thought that maybe they were fudging that a bit. I kept after the dealer and they finally got mine changed. I will say this it was worth the wait!

Good luck!

Mike
You state it was worth the wait. I haven't ridden a Spyder without the DPS fix so I have nothing to compare with but mine is a handfull on the twisty's and mine has had the fix. Is it just me or was the steering really, really bad before the fix?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine is a 2010 so probably had the "fix" but don't know for sure. I do know that when they replaced the dps with the new unit my spyder feels smother and more stable in the corners. I am able to push harder into and hold a better line than before. Also to me just driving in a straight line it doesn't feel darty like it tended to before. Overall I am very satisfied with the new unit.

My Wife also noticed the difference........She tells me to slow down.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dps

I had to wait over 6 weeks for my DPS unit to get replaced. It is my understanding that BRP sends the dealers a certain number of replacement units based on the number that the dealer has sold. Once the original shipment has been changed out, they have to send in an old unit to get another replacement, this is where the majority of the holdup comes from. I missed out on almost two months of riding. I have driven it when the weather has warmed up enough and there is a noticable change in the steering. Much smoother operation. Mid winter here now in Arkansas and waiting for Spring..then hopefully another good year of riding. Keep the Faith.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dps

i've been without my spyder since october. I've been awaiting a replacement dps module as part of the recall. My local dealer finally got in a dps unit, but it was for an rt model. I have a 2008 rs model.

I'm very frustrated. My local dealer is frustrated with the delay, too. Is there a number for can-am that i can call to get a human to speed up this process for me?!

Unhappy in durham, nc
i purchased a 2009 model which can am tells me still has the faulty unit. I purchased after it was involved in an accident in aussie. Now the aussie arm of can am is relunctant to replace the unit so i can put it on the road. They are currently suggesting i complete the repair and then after it is re registered and roadworthy i take it to a can am dealer. Being a current roadworthy test officer and mechanic of 40yrs, i say i cannot put a defective item back in a vehicle or especially write up a fitness to go back on the road....
Maybe these guys should get off their arses and go and ride a bike with a defective unit, Then consider the impact of such decisions may have on the Spyder for future Buyers, sure I bought it at auction but bottom line there is a re call.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea! Taking my Spyder in on Tuesday to be fitted with the new DPS Unit. OK Roads: here I come!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dps problems!!!

I've had an appointment to get my Spyder fixed for nearly 5 months with no success... I've been in contact with Can-Am, NHTSA, and the Federal Trade Commission. I've been given a few numbers to call and they are... (888)864-2002 (Can Am); (800)424-9153 (NHTSA); and (877)382-4357 (FTC). I'm hoping that if we get together on this maybe they will get moving on the matter. I've thought about selling mine after it is fixed because I don't know if I want any association with a company with so little concern for their consumers.... Good Luck to anyone else with the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cant speak for all dealers.....but the dealer that i deal with had 6 in stock and it wasnt a problem......i will say....if the dealer was having an issue...he could have given a number to call BPR or the dealer could have located on from another dealership or the dealers sales rep could have been called.....I think the dealer could have kicked it up a notch for you...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've had an appointment to get my Spyder fixed for nearly 5 months with no success... I've been in contact with Can-Am, NHTSA, and the Federal Trade Commission. I've been given a few numbers to call and they are... (888)864-2002 (Can Am); (800)424-9153 (NHTSA); and (877)382-4357 (FTC). I'm hoping that if we get together on this maybe they will get moving on the matter. I've thought about selling mine after it is fixed because I don't know if I want any association with a company with so little concern for their consumers.... Good Luck to anyone else with the same issue.
2009Spyder, I see you live in Missouri but not sure where. Contact Len at the Cowtown dealership in Cuba, MO he will get you taken care of. This is a great dealership and they will help you out even if you didn't buy your Spyder from them.

They also have a great Spyder meet coming up at the end of April. Right now there will be about 240 Spyders there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am delighted to report all problems with my new DPS unit were resolved simply by replacing a rear light bulb that was out. Been riding daily, ever since I got PE 2646 back. Rides great with the new DPS unit.

Also bought an RT top cover. It fits perfectly over my RS, which has been tricked out with (tall) touring windshield and rear seat back. Now PE 2646 is housed under a carport, with a cover. ;-)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Speaking of the DPS recall - many in this forum have reported problems with their local dealer getting the parts and having to wait months for the repair. I talked with the service manager at the local Spyder dealer and he said they have not had any problems and have replaced DPS units as the customer brings them in. They keep the parts on hand. How did they do this? Remember the Spyder gathering last summer in Gatlinburg, TN? Well the dealer went to CanAm beforehand and said many of the owners of the Spyders showing up in Gatlinburg would be wanting the recalls done. CanAm sent them a few dozen of the units. Once the Gatlinburg event was finished the dealer still had many of the units on hand. They didn't send them back and that means they always have one on hand when someone comes in with a DPS problem. While I've got your ear I have an unrelated question. I have been posting replies in the group for a few months now but have never posted an original of my own. I can't find a way to do that. How do the rest of you do it? I obviously am not seeing something that is most probably right in front of my face. Help please. David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts