Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove a new Spyder RT audio & convenience and although it was a bit windy out, I felt some "darting" (bike decided to go left or right and not an "on rails" feeling) similar to what a snowmobiler feels when they don't have the right set-up for carbide runners. Has anyone else noticed this?

How about any reports of Spyders feeling fine when the tires are new but as the tires wear out there is vibration or wobbling of the tires?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful feedback.

· Registered
377 Posts
Was this test ride your first time on a Spyder? If it was that explains everything. When the majority of people ride a Spyder for the first time the machine darts around as you say. Makes no difference how much experience you have on two wheels. When you spend more time on one and learn to relax with it the "dartiness" will go away. I don't think tire condition has anything to do with it unless they are completely bald. David

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it was my first time driving the Spyder. I thought I was pretty relaxed as I was even barely holding on to the steering just to test straightness and vibration etc.. Glad to hear that wearing tires doesn't seem to be real noticeable. Thanks.

· Registered
29 Posts
In the limited time I've had mine, I quickly discovered that the factory recommended front tire pressure is too low. Inflating the front tires to 28 psi and ensuring that my grip on the handlebars is relaxed makes all the difference in the world in handling. I'm also going to try tightening the front shocks from the middle position they came with. (Haven't done that yet because they didn't provide me with a toolkit. :mad:)

George

· Registered
377 Posts
In the limited time I've had mine, I quickly discovered that the factory recommended front tire pressure is too low. Inflating the front tires to 28 psi and ensuring that my grip on the handlebars is relaxed makes all the difference in the world in handling. I'm also going to try tightening the front shocks from the middle position they came with. (Haven't done that yet because they didn't provide me with a toolkit. :mad:)

George
I was told by the local Spyder service department that if you adjust the shocks yourself you must make sure it is off the floor (jacked up). If adjustment is attempted with the Spyder resting on the floor you are going to break them. David

· Registered
72 Posts
Darting

Wasn't until I started adjusting tire pressures and shock settings did I get my ride sorted out. Last thing I have to adjust is me, and that's a work in progress. By all means don't make with the death grip, the machine is inherently stable (IMHO) and is fairly predictable over a wide range of speeds and road surfaces. Relax, get some seat time and by all means, if not happy, there are any number of experts here and on other forums that can offer solid advice and solutions. But be forewarned, some are chaper than others.
Solutions, that is...

Patrick

Oh, now with 4200 miles in about 10 weeks.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I couldn't agree more with what you just said! :cool: By the way; what sort of tire pressures and shock settings are you running? We all have our own way of doing things, but I ended up with the shock preload bumped up one notch, front tire pressures at 18 psi, rear tire pressure at 30, and I usually run 64psi in the shock while riding double...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.