Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't regret for a moment trading in my Goldwing for my new RT, but I am getting some ribbing by riding acquaintances and some friends. Things like "you have to turn in your motorcyclist card" and "you started on a tricycle, and now are back to a tricycle" and the like. It made me wonder if Spyder riders consider themselves riders, or motorcyclists, or drivers. I myself teased an old friend who now rides a Slingshot, telling him that his car seems to have lost one of its wheels, so I guess I deserve the teasing. I still consider myself a motorcyclist, even if my motorcycle is one with three wheels instead of two. The funny thing is that I have not heard similar comments made to those switching to conventional trikes with the two wheels in back.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
The funny thing is that I have not heard similar comments made to those switching to conventional trikes with the two wheels in back.
You haven't been around them enough.
It is all good natured fun. Take it as such.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised that those here have not commented on this thread. I wonder if this is because some Spyder riders are uncomfortable with the self designation as a motorcyclist.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its still considered a motorcycle. I have had one a little more than a month and now broke 1000 miles. I have noticed that a lot of other motorcycle riders (specifically Harley riders) don't wave at me anymore. Think what they will but I am not in a position to hold up a 900 lb bike anymore but still love to ride. So as far as Im concerned, they don't have to wave but one day they may find their self riding on 3 wheels as well. Ride on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like you I found that holding up, and picking up, a 900 pound plus bike was no longer within my ability to do safely, most especially when riding two up. In fact, my wife had been avoiding riding with me because she felt too anxious every time I had to to stop at a traffic light or maneuver slowly in a gas station, etc. Tipping over in my garage and having my right boot caught under the Goldwing, and being unable to lift it off my boot myself was the final straw. I had considered just going to a lighter bike, but I wanted something comfortable for my wife as well since two up riding is my preference and a great way for us to spend a day together. And while some do not wave back to me, around here even most of the Harley riders return my wave. Oddly, a few other Spyders that I have seen did not return my wave, which I attribute to those riders not understanding the waving tradition of motorcyclists. I still think of myself as a rider, not a driver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Who cares what others think. I have a Spyder RT mostly for two up riding but still have two other two wheelers. Two wheelers are more fun to ride but the RT is more fun than I thought. Riders who dont wave back based on what you ride are losers in my world and as far as Harley riders are concerned most of them ride for show. I've been riding for fifty years and always rode for the ride and respect ALL other riders. Just ride safe and enjoy and if a Can Am keeps you riding longer so be it and to hell with those who would mock you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Absolutely I consider myself a motorcyclist. I rode almost everything on two wheels for 40 years+. Honda, Harley, Allstate, Yamaha, Triumph. Don’t need anymore practice. I transitioned to a Spyder RT a couple of years ago and never looked back. My wife and I have Goldwing comfort with more stability. I get 95% of the motorcycling open air riding experience with about 10% of the worry. I can still ride anything made, I just don’t want the hassle and weight. If you’re going to ride a heavy bike with passenger, three wheels are the only way to go. If you’re riding a lighter bike alone 2 wheels are fine. Yes I am older now but if you can get over your bad, doo rag karma I think I’m cool self you will come to the conclusion that a tricycle is just as much fun. Everywhere we go people comment positively. When I was on two wheels, no matter what it was, hardly anybody cared. Did I mention women love to ride the Spyder? I wish I had figured all that out years ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It still requires a motorcycle licence in most countries so.. Still a motorcycle. Personally I think its a different beast altogether should be recognised as such but anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely I consider myself a motorcyclist. I rode almost everything on two wheels for 40 years+. Honda, Harley, Allstate, Yamaha, Triumph. Don’t need anymore practice. I transitioned to a Spyder RT a couple of years ago and never looked back. My wife and I have Goldwing comfort with more stability. I get 95% of the motorcycling open air riding experience with about 10% of the worry. I can still ride anything made, I just don’t want the hassle and weight. If you’re going to ride a heavy bike with passenger, three wheels are the only way to go. If you’re riding a lighter bike alone 2 wheels are fine. Yes I am older now but if you can get over your bad, doo rag karma I think I’m cool self you will come to the conclusion that a tricycle is just as much fun. Everywhere we go people comment positively. When I was on two wheels, no matter what it was, hardly anybody cared. Did I mention women love to ride the Spyder? I wish I had figured all that out years ago.
I love my 21rt me and the wife have been riding for 3 or4 yrs have met some wonderful people. Hardly riders that don't wave probably are the ones you don't want to deal with anyway. I respect all even scooters. It's about you and yours not everyone else enjoy and keep riding.

·
Registered
2019 RT Limited Named Charlotte
7 Posts
Who cares what others think. I have a Spyder RT mostly for two up riding but still have two other two wheelers. Two wheelers are more fun to ride but the RT is more fun than I thought. Riders who dont wave back based on what you ride are losers in my world and as far as Harley riders are concerned most of them ride for show. I've been riding for fifty years and always rode for the ride and respect ALL other riders. Just ride safe and enjoy and if a Can Am keeps you riding longer so be it and to hell with those who would mock you.
I agree with Coach; who cares? I don't give two winks what motorcycle riders think of me as I roll down the road on my RT-Limited. It's a great machine...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its still considered a motorcycle. I have had one a little more than a month and now broke 1000 miles. I have noticed that a lot of other motorcycle riders (specifically Harley riders) don't wave at me anymore. Think what they will but I am not in a position to hold up a 900 lb bike anymore but still love to ride. So as far as Im concerned, they don't have to wave but one day they may find their self riding on 3 wheels as well. Ride on.
I agree. After riding 2-wheelers for 25 years, at the ripe old age of 73 I am thankful for the fact my Spyder lets me continue what I love the most about “motorcycling”: 1. Camaraderie 2. Feeling one with nature 3 just plain fun riding in the open rather than in a cage.

I subscribe to the old adage: “If you don’t ride, you don’t know”.

Keep your knees in the breeze any way you can. 😊

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well said, the only person who this should matter to is yourself. You ride for yourself not others and therefore it only matters what you feel and think. Leave that nonsense to the snobs and show ponies & just keep riding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started the thread just out of curiosity. I do ride for myself. I wave at everyone, even mopeds. If others do not wave back, no big deal. Its there loss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts