Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding bikes for well over 45 years. Now that I'm getting older I'm not liking the idea of trying to keep my current 2008 Goldwing 900 + lb. machine balanced under all conditions when stoped. Love the bike but have dropped it and I for one can not pick it up alone anymore. Every bike I've ever had including the Goldwing came with known issues so I'll assume the Spyder has a reputation for certain inherant issues. Just wondering if anyone here is willing to help me understand the weaknesses and of course some of the pro's. Not wanting to start anything here as I think these are great machines. I simply am just now doing my research. I have a can am quad that I absolutley love. Great quality as I'm sure the Spyder has also. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been riding bikes for well over 45 years. Now that I'm getting older I'm not liking the idea of trying to keep my current 2008 Goldwing 900 + lb. machine balanced under all conditions when stoped. Love the bike but have dropped it and I for one can not pick it up alone anymore. Every bike I've ever had including the Goldwing came with known issues so I'll assume the Spyder has a reputation for certain inherant issues. Just wondering if anyone here is willing to help me understand the weaknesses and of course some of the pro's. Not wanting to start anything here as I think these are great machines. I simply am just now doing my research. I have a can am quad that I absolutley love. Great quality as I'm sure the Spyder has also. Thanks in advance.
Hi Dave--I'm doing the same thing, Past GL1800 owner and have been researching the Spyder for the last week. Here's the issues I see (which obviously have a lot less value than actual owners).
* you'll probably want the RT which is a tourer and much closer to what you're used to. The RS is more of a crotch rocket
* has more weight and less power than the wing-adequate but definitely not overpowered
* heat issues on riders coming off pipes, catalytic converter and radiator--various covers, wraps and deflectors aftermarket to deal with this
* marginal BRP customer service
* expensive maintenance
: fuel economy and range
* LOTS of past models for sale with VERY low mileage--not exactly sure what this means other than to be very sure you are comfortable with the Spyder before buying as others have obviously had buyers remorse.
All of this said, I'm still probably going to buy one in the next couple of weeks. Still need to test ride the RT. I test road an RS, 2 years back and wasn't impressed, wound up buying the wing. RT seems to have eliminated most of my concerns. Just got a quote from Allstate on Insurance and it was only $289 for full coverage. Good Luck Tom/Fort Myers

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
All vehicles have their issues. You either deal with them or get something else.

flybuddy said it very well for the most part. dealers can make or break you with these machines

take one for a long test drive, but don't think it's like a regular 2 wheeler, but since you have driven an ATV it should come fairly easily

have fun and good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Understanding nothing is perfect in the machine world it's nice to have that sense of what to expect and how to best deal with it. Not many dealers around here so it shouldn't be to hard to find one of the better ones if I decide on a change.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
best advice we can give you is to do your homework

people here have been burned badly because sadly they never did theirs

try and talk to other Spyder owners in your area if you can and see what they have to say about their dealer/s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts