Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished an oil change on my 2022 F3S using the XPS Oil Change Kit. Everything went smooth, but the oil level only comes up to the "minimum" on the dipstick. I used the entire kit of 5.5 quarts !! Anyone else ran into this issue? Going pick up another quart of oil tomorrow to get it to the maximum and just carry the extra in the bike. If this is normal, shouldn't the kit have SIX quarts? Just puzzled about it. Seems strange my wife's bike with the same engine uses 5.5 quarts to maximum.....

· Registered
179 Posts
Oil must be at the proper level in these engines. You can put too much in and because it was not checked properly will show low on the dipstick. If you wait too long to check, the oil goes back down in the motor and gives a false reading. Overfilled is detrimental.
Here is a video.

· Registered
101 Posts
SE6 or SM6? If SE6 did you change the HCM filter? Makes a difference.

The 1330 is a dry sump engine and therefore must be operated for a certain period of time (it's in the manual) before an accurate oil level check can be made.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have changed oil in my wife’s 2015 RT Limited SE6 for a few years now. I typically pour in 5 quarts (kit comes with 6). Then run the engine and take bike for a short ride. I typically will have to add a little more, but I have never put in the entire 6 quarts. After years of oil changes I now have almost enough oil from previous changes to for an oil change.
Don’t ever try and save $$$ by using another oil, the XPS oil is very specific for the 1330 engine. Lamonster has a kit and they have good products, but the extra buck for OEM oil kit is money well spent (IMHO) when it comes to maintenance records.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have changed oil in my wife’s 2015 RT Limited SE6 for a few years now. I typically pour in 5 quarts (kit comes with 6). Then run the engine and take bike for a short ride. I typically will have to add a little more, but I have never put in the entire 6 quarts. After years of oil changes I now have almost enough oil from previous changes to for an oil change.
Don’t ever try and save $$$ by using another oil, the XPS oil is very specific for the 1330 engine. Lamonster has a kit and they have good products, but the extra buck for OEM oil kit is money well spent (IMHO) when it comes to maintenance records.
The kit I purchased came with 5.5 qts of oil. The manual states the 1330 ACE engine takes 5.5 qts. The Dealership said to add more oil until the dipstick reads maximum. An answer I don't appreciate from them. My questions to them is WHY do I need to add additional oil where it is specifically stated 5.5 qts MAX ? I purchased another quart of XPS oil and it took one pint to reach maximum. So six quarts total. I contacted BRP about this and waiting on an answer because there has to be something different or wrong with my engine. Also, that means my oil changes run $160 where it should only be $150. Trivial I know, but that is $10 out of pocket for an unknown reason each oil change.

· Registered
101 Posts
rickus57 -- for my first oil change (I'm the third owner) I bought the BRP kit and changed the HCM filter at the same time. 5.5 quarts was just right. If I didn't change the filter then 5 quarts would have been correct. I think 6 quarts might be a risk of seal leakage, etc for continued operation about 5K RPM. I've read stories of people using hoses to suck out the extra oil. Some stories didn't end happily...

PS I use Motul 7100 15W-50 and it really improved the shifting on my almost 100K Spyder.

Reactions: 2016RTL

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,982 Posts
Don’t ever try and save $$$ by using another oil, the XPS oil is very specific for the 1330 engine.
Total and absolute BS.
There is NOTHING unique about the 1330 engine that benefits from any specific oil.
And not actually knowing who makes the XPS oil, you don't actually KNOW if it is the best oil you can get or not.
You have been brainwashed by marketing lies.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,982 Posts
I contacted BRP about this and waiting on an answer because there has to be something different or wrong with my engine.
No there isn't.
Getting a good reading on an engine with a "dry sump" is tricky.
As long as the stated amount of oil comes up BETWEEN the min and max lines on the stick, you are good to go.......and no additional oil is required.
That is assuming that you are checking it "by the book".

· Registered
2016 RTL
5 Posts
Total and absolute BS.
There is NOTHING unique about the 1330 engine that benefits from any specific oil.
And not actually knowing who makes the XPS oil, you don't actually KNOW if it is the best oil you can get or not.
You have been brainwashed by marketing lies.
I’ve been using Amsoil for years with no issues.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it seems I FINALLY got an answer that makes sense. When dealerships and most owners change oil, they put the plug back in when the oil is at a trickle. Whether it is a vehicle, mower, etc., I let it drain for about 30 minutes or more. That's just how I have always done it. A mechanic told me that method will drain ALL of the oil which could very well mean the amount I was low amounted to the pint I was missing.

· Registered
101 Posts
I concur with Tourer. riskus57 never stated the observed oil level when a measurement was taken in accordance with the owner manual.

Reactions: Tourer

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I concur with Tourer. riskus57 never stated the observed oil level when a measurement was taken in accordance with the owner manual.
The oil level was at the MINIMUM mark of the dipstick. I rode it over 75 miles with a few stops to check the level which never changed from minimum. I did add a half pint to bring it up between the max and minimum and after 200 miles of riding today, checked it, and it is still right between the marks.

· Registered
101 Posts
Six quarts of oil (5.5 plus one pint) with or without changing the HCM filter and you were consistently reading Minimum before adding another half-pint? That dog don't hunt.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am still not confident that you are checking the oil level the right way.
6 quarts is too much.
If you did not change the transmission filter too, it's about a quart too much.
Heck, didn't know about the tranny filter. So far, nothing unusual has happened and I've been riding it. Sent my VIN to the BRP website as requested, but they have yet to respond on this.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,982 Posts
Heck, didn't know about the tranny filter. So far, nothing unusual has happened and I've been riding it. Sent my VIN to the BRP website as requested, but they have yet to respond on this.
Why would they request your VIN ?
I am confused.......and maybe YOU are too.
You NEED to get this straightened out because a quart too much can cause serious problems sometimes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts