Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used f3-t(2015) with only about 11,000 miles on it. I noticed at higher speeds it can be very difficult to shift out of sixth gear. It has a fresh oil change so it should be lubricated well enough. It was bad enough that I was almost stomping on the shifter. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Is this normal?
No, of course not.
Unless maybe you are trying to shift without the clutch.

Maybe the shifter linkage isn't returning to the "neutral" position when shifting INTO 6th.

With some older models, the clutch slave tends to go bad making most shifts hard. But with your year and mileage that shouldn't be happening yet.

I suggest that you make an appointment with a Spyder dealer to take it in for a quick inspection.
And be sure that they promise to look at it when you get it there.......not 4 hours or 4 days later.
Maybe a quick shifter llinkage adjustment or adding a bit of fluid to the clutch cylinder will fix it right up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You did not mentioned if it is a manual or auto tranny.
If you have a semi automatic, I can see why it would possibly not downshift when running 85 because it might over rev the engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
It’s a full manual transmission
IF......that is the only situation where it seems to be a problem, I would tend to assume that it is not "full" manual but has some "automatic" safeguards built into it......to keep you from doing something stupid.

Were you attempting to "rev match" at the time ?

Just chopping the throttle at that speed should give a good amount of engine braking.
So should pressing on the actual brake pedal.

I'm beginning to think this is a non-problem, with the machine at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s possible that I am doing something wrong. I would like to think that I know how to shift down since I have been riding since I was eight years old though. Unfortunately since the weather is turning cold I probably won’t be able to check it out again until spring. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to all that responded to my question, I thank you all for your advice. It’s nice to know that there are good people in the world willing to help someone with good advice and ideas. You have all given me great places to start investigating this issue. Thank you again. And any new ideas would be greatly appreciated as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
A follow up is always appreciated. Please put it at the end of THIS thread.

The reason not to downshift at a high speed is that the resulting engine braking is SO SEVERE that it tends to lock the back wheel. On a two wheel machine, that tends to throw the rider off over the handle bars.
Sport bikes try to solve that problem with a "slipper" clutch which partially disengages under extreme engine braking.
The Spyder may have a different solution.

Note:
It is always a good idea to proof your posts after you make them.
Mistakes can be fixed with an "edit".
I fixed yours for you to remove the 4 extra quotes.

I also moved your "thank you" to this thread where it really belongs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts