Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys,

I'm new here and am looking at possibly buying an RT. I do have a concern though. How feasible do you think the RT is for a year round rider? North Carolina weather during winter is mostly rain and cold. A bit of snow occasionally, and VERY rarely, a touch of ice. I drive 100 Interstate miles to work, but only make the drive 6 times/mo. Heated grips, leathers, and maybe a suit the dealer mentioned that plugs in like an electric blanket(?) if necessary.

I'm not a motorcycle rider currently, but love the look and feel of these RT's.

Am I biting off more than I should be with going from a car to bike completely?

Thanks,

· Registered
28 Posts
I have an RT on order but won't get it till Spring but until then I am riding a Harley Ultra Classic. Even though the temp outside may be say 45 degrees its a lot colder feeling moving at 60+ MPH. Gloves are a must and lots of layers of clothing. This all works fine on dry pavement. However, you add a couple snow or ice patches to the road, even with 3 wheels, your toast. I would only consider riding a 100 mile commute on a bike (or Spyder) only if I new for sure that there wouldn't be a chance of any snow or ice on the road. Especially at highway speeds. The Spyder user guide states not to drive it on snow or ice. This may just be in there to cover their a$$ but it also may be a problem with the stability control electronics on road surfaces with poor traction. Like I said earlier I currently don't have a Spyder yet and obviously no expert but I have used 2 wheel bikes for many years and have learned from experience not to ride large street bikes on ice or snow.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
This is a very interesting question to pose... paricularly from your neck of the woods! If you'd be riding under threat of snow or ice, :eek: it's better to have four wheels and a cage around you. :eek:
That having been said... I've ridden my RT in low-forties temperatures and a steady rainfall... The fairng does a GREAT job of shoveling things away from you, but protective weather gear would be an absolute must!
(But then I've also ridden a GoldWing in a snowstorm... :eek:)

· Registered
303 Posts
Year round riding

I've been riding down in the 30's so far this year. I have a Tourmaster textile jacket and pants and a 4 dollar pair of gloves from the Home Store. I have the touring windsheild on an '09 GS. Other than my chin I have not felt any cold air.

I know there are others that drive year round in NY and MN. I plan on riding as long as there is no snow or ice on the roads this winter. My problem so far is the Spyder engine will not heat up when it is this cold outside. :eek:

· Registered
13 Posts
... I plan on riding as long as there is no snow or ice on the roads this winter...
Agree 100% with you, Jeff.

I've been riding year round for 6 years now. But ice or snow on the roads is my clue to get in something safer than a motorcycle. It's not only my own lack of traction, but the lack of control of the cages around me. No thanks.

By the way, you can dress for the cold. Heated gear helps a lot and is surprisingly effective.

· Registered
20 Posts
I don't know if other guys here have ridden the Spyder on frozen roads, but because of the lack of weight on the rear, you can easily loose traction. At least that's what I experienced (fortunately no consequences) on a trip I did thru mountain roads, which had snow that turned into ice. My RS kept loosing traction on the rear wheel, and there were even some parts of the road where I couldn't advance at all. I have to say that I don't weight myself that much (130 lbs.), so I had to invite one of my friends, traveling by car, to come and join me on the Spyder. That way, two up, I gained a little more traction, and finally went thru. ...As the user guide says, I definitely don't recommend driving it on icy roads.

· Registered
303 Posts
Agree 100% with you, Jeff.

I've been riding year round for 6 years now. But ice or snow on the roads is my clue to get in something safer than a motorcycle. It's not only my own lack of traction, but the lack of control of the cages around me. No thanks.

By the way, you can dress for the cold. Heated gear helps a lot and is surprisingly effective.
I don't think I will be needing heated gear at this point. With what I have I have not even felt the slightest amount of cold anywhere but my chin. I have a neck warmer for when the temp gets down below 30.

Tomorrow will be a real test. We are having record winds in Illinois and the temp is going to be around 32 on my way to work. I'll see if the high winds cut through my gear, or if I get blown clear off the Spyder. :eek:

P.S. I got my riding gear at BikeBandit.com a sponsor of this site.

· Registered
40 Posts
if you have the right riding gear there should`t be a problem with the RT - the wind protection is fantastic ..they also changed something on the VSS - to allow the backwheel a little more sliding then the GS - but if you drive single i would give a lot of "load" in the back cases - whatever you find ..
chris (from the alps)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.