Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND!!!! UGH!!!!! As everyone might have read in an earlier post, I test rode an RT last Friday and the jury was out. It was such a freaky ride compaired to my V-Star. I really struggled with my turns and it felt like it was going to throw me off into the street! Some old lady behind me had to honk at me because I was too slow off the line...ok so I had to check my L.A. attitude and not put it in park and get off and go back and beat her with her cain....;) But of course I can't get the Spyder off of my mind. So now I have to decide if I want to start making another car payment (about what the payment will be like) orrrrr....put that money in my retirement....for some day, maybe if I am lucky retirement. OH THE AGONY! Plus I am still leary of the maintenance on these bad boys....I suspect it will be far more than my V-Star. And of course my insurance is going to almost double. BWAAAA!!!!!! I THINK THAT I WANT THIS BIKE!!!!!:(
One more interesting thing, I never see them in So. CA.....whats up with that? Thanks for letting me vent!
Carol

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I had the same feeling the first time.
when you go through corners, put the inside knee against the (fake)tank for support, so it does not feel like you are going off the seat, in higher speed corners move your butt also in.

Now on a lot of test rides, the spyder feels loose, on my test they had 3 spyders all with basic setup, when you get one first learn to hold the grips lightly, also depending on your weight, bring the front shock up a notch, and increase the tire pressure.

For me, 200+lbs with gear, I upped the front suspensions to 5 (max) tires to 18 in front and 28 in rear.

I am very comfortable now, after 5 bikes, got my RT last month and have over 2000 miles on it now.

May have a KLR for sale soon.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Carol,
Your post is very relatable to me; I almost changed my mind after I first took a Spyder around the dealer parking lot. I've ridden a V-Star in the past and most recently was riding a 1400cc Intruder, and compared to those bikes I thought the Spyder was ungainly and difficult to steer. Thank goodness I continued to think about it and I read tons of posts on two Spyder boards about how to improve the ride. I"ve had my RT-S for 9 days now and I'm VERY happy I traded in the cruiser! Every day I've practiced the new techniques needed to skillfully ride this bike and I feel much more confident now, and I'm having SO MUCH FUN! I needed to get over the fact that after 24 years riding motorcycles, I was now a newbie on this machine and I had to learn different ways to corner, shift, steer, etc.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome! I agree with the others who have said its a different way to ride. Take another test drive, loosen up your grip on the steering and don't fight it... and in the corners, lean to the inside, as well as dropping your hip off the seat. That takes the centrifugal force out of the equation and gives you security in the cornering.

You can always go get one... returning one is a different matter! Think it through, take your time, and test ride again, as many times as you need, until you make up your mind for sure. We'll wait!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have only ridden one, once in my life and it is different I will admit. But I compare it to ridding 4 wheelers. I have sold my yamaha Raider and picking my RT up this Saturday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the input. I am going to go back and test ride it again and work on the butt and hip thing in the turns. One last question from everyone, as I am reading this forum and other forums, I am seeing a lot of mechanical issues happening. Are you guys experiencing problems? Has Can Am worked the kinks out? Is the maintenance high on these?
Thanks again!!!!
Carol

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Agree, If they have an issue they complain, most of us don't, it does make a difference if your dealer did a good job on setting the bike up.

Goldwings are reliable, so everybody says, but check the forums. lots of people complaining about their "perfect" bikes.

It's mechanical, they break, but a good dealer makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My husband is mechanically inclined, and we just changed the oil for the first time in mine. The instructions are in the manual, so it was just a matter of my reading what we had to do and then finding all of the screws holding her together.

As far as dealer repairs go, I agree with the guys who said the people who are having issues are the ones you're hearing from... the rest of us are out there on the roads with bugs splattering on our helmets.

Let us know how you like the second test ryde...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts