Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.....we purchased this Spyder in April 2011, when we bought it didn't start right away....we figured because sitting on the showroom floor...there was a dead battery. So the dealer replaced the battery and we were on our way for a 5 hour trip back to Chicago. Running fine until one day in June, we went to start the bike up and no start, dead battery. Called the BRP mechanic that did our 600 mile tune-up, we brought it in. After inspecting the charging system...he said nothing was wrong. He explained that this is normal and that Spyders eat alot of battery juice. I told him a vehicle that cost 28K shouldn't have a dead battery and that it wasn't normal. The mechanic told us we needed to get a trickle charger, we did. We still have the same problems. Has this happened to anyone? Does this mean that if I go on a weekend getaway I have to plug in the bike? This is very frustrating! We love our Spyder, I would hate to give it up, but it pisses me off when you purchase something new and it breaks before the first year.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
570 Posts
As much as it pains me to admit to this, I have let my RT Ltd sit for up to 10 days without being on a charger. No problems here.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ditto what Bob Denman says plus I have a trickle charger that I plug in the trunk outlet on my RT and charge when not riding. FYI, when you get a new battery, charge it 24 hours before riding or as soon as possible after you get it home. Few dealers pay any attention to their battery inventory. If they can get you out of their parking lot, they are home free.... Tighten battery terminal connections every six months...they work loose...

I have several trickle chargers on several vehicles, riding mower, tractor, Gold Wing, etc.

And they start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Sorry to read that you are having problem with your battey. We got our RT Spec. Edition on July 14 and as of today we have 1022km so not enough to say that we needed to charge the battery. I sure hope we won't have to. I'll keep you poste and in the mean time we might purchase the battery charger just in case ... it cost only 45$ with taxes. Thank you. Claudette.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts