Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We love our Spyder....however, went to start her up and there was a dead battery. Called the local BRP mechanic and brought it in. The mechanic stated that the charging system was fine, but mentioned that the Spyder drinks battery juice even when it is shut off with no key in it, and that it was normal. He suggested that we buy a trickle charger. It is my opinion that this mechanic was under-educated about these bikes (but that's my opinion). How am I supposed to go on a road trip if I have to plug my bike into a wall when I'm not riding it? And to top it off, BRP wouldn't cover the cost for the mechanic to look at it!! Has this happened to anyone? I mean this is a new vehicle, I don't think it normal for this to happen, really? We're truly frustrated by this....this has happened twice!!! and yes the 600 mile tune-up was performed on it. Any suggestions...please advise..:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the battery has a 6 month free replacement warranty. Our battery died after 3 months and wouldn't hold a charge. It was only able to put out 26 amps. My dealer replaced it for free and said they had had a bunch of bad batteries over the past couple of years. IMHO, the amount of juice drawn by a spyder sitting is minimal and shouldn't cause a problem unless it is sitting for a few weeks. There are several replacement batteries available and if yours is not covered by warranty, you may consider a jell cell of the same size.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
It's true they suck juice like no ones business

I was told to keep it on trickle if you even leave it for a couple of days so I bought Battery Tender 800, it supposed to be one of better ones for bikes
I have had to use it a couple of times when I was playing around figuring stuff out, but so far other than that have not had to use as I run everyday

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
NoNoNoNoNo... The dealer simply didn't do their job before delivery and actually charge the battery up for you... Tell them that you want a new battery and to charge it before you have it installed. :mad:

That having been said... I didn't plug my RT in at all last summer. I used a Battery Tender over the winter to keep things up to snuff though... This summer though I have plugged in once because most of my trips have been just around Town and I know that I haven't been running my RT far enough to charge it up fully...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi! I have also been having so battery problems with my spyder, twice now I have had to jump the bike, because the battrey was low. I also want out and got a battery tender, to stop this from happend again. if my bike stays in the garage all week, and on saturday i go to start it, the battery does not have the power to start the eagine. So I am hopeing the tender works. will let you all know if it does. On a side note the wife still has not giving me back my spyder yet , but thats ok she is having a ball using it. LOL:D

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2011 Spyder RT only has 284 miles on it and battery was dead this morning. Jump started it with B&D Electromate but really! I don't have my license yet so can't ride as much as I want to. Have to go all the way from the Rio Grande Valley to San Antonio to take a 3 wheeler class this Sunday. That's the bad news. The good news is I bought my Spyder at South Texas Suzuki in Lytle, TX, near San Antonio, and they are going to loan me a Spyder to take my test. I'm glad to hear there is a warranty on the battery and will insist on another one when I take it in for 600 mile checkup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should not have to put your bike on a charger or have to jump start it if it has been sitting for a few days. You have either a bad battery or your charging system is not putting out enough voltage to keep the bike running and charge the battery. I own a 09 R S model and have never had to charge the battery even if I have not run the bike for 10 to 12 days You may want to look for some item on the RT model that doesn't turn off with the key or a loose connection on the battery or loose connection in the charging system also check for a faulty ground this will also cause your bike not to start. PS have the starter check it may have a higher than normal resistance and the battery can not turn it over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi bob, we are going to have the battery replaced at the 600 miles check-up next week, and yes my wife put all them miles on my bike, dam her, lol
we have a trip this weekend that is a 110 mile lop on some really nice roads in New Jersey, all two lane and only 50 mph overlooking the beaches. On a side note the bike is hers now, i just got a new fatboy low for giving it up , was a nice trade off for me. But I still get to use her bike at times, like getting gas lol and O-joy i still have to clean it too, lol:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have had to jump start my battery three times in the last month. Took it in to dealer yesterday. Battery was only at 48%. Not enough to start engine. They put it on charger until it was fully charged. I drove 6 miles home. Less that 24 hours later, I put a Battery Tender on it. According to lights on tender, it had gone from fully charged to less than 80% charged just sitting in the garage. Took 2 hours to get to over 80% and another hour to get to fully charged again. This is a brand new bike -- 395 miles. Just got my license yesterday so have been limited in how much I could ride. But jeez! What is draining my battery? The manual says to put it on a trickle charger if it sits for more than a month. Mine has never sit more than a week. Do I need to insist on a new battery or is something else wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Battery problems

Just put it on a charger when your not using it, When I park my RT-S for the night I plug in the Battery Tender and always have a full battery.

George
Diector Columbia River Chapter Spyder Ryder of America

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
...No disrespect is meant... :D but there's no way that plugging the bike in should be necessary all of the time.
That having been said; I will plug mine in if it has been limited to short hops around Town for a week or so and hasn't had a run long enough to give the battery a good charge... :eek:
Check to make sure that your battery terminals are REAL good and tight... Lots of dealers seem to leave them loose, and then don't completely charge the battery prior to delivery... :mad:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Battery

Spydergirl what has the dealer said about your battery if anything?

I hope my dealer calls soon to tell me my RT-S SE5 is ready.:D
I called BRP today and was told that there have been 2 recalls for the 2011 RT this month.
right throttle body actuator
a right rear spring break replacement

·
Registered
47 Posts
I plug my scoots, riding mower, tractor and 4X4 most of the time with battery tenders. If you get a new battery or new vehicle, charge the battery 24 hour before using it. The battery will last longer...I change my scoot batteries out every three years, regardless...

The above comments are correct in making sure the terminal lugs are tight. I check mine every six months as it seems they vibrate or work loose sometimes and the battery fails when you need it most.

Upgrade 2011-7 is for the throttle body, 2011-8 for new grommets and -9 for a new brake spring. These apply to the 2011 RT. I had all done today at my dealer, Southwest Texas Suzuki in Lytle, TX. Good folks if you are ever down that way...or up that way...if from the valley...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. We had the same problem on our bike. Our bike died on us twice after not using it for a few days. We had it in about 8 times and they couldn't find the problem-put in a new battery - didn't work and finally after getting so frustrated and having BRP involved they finally kept it for a few days and saw that the battery was still dropping. Put in a new radio which was the culprit and don't have any more problems. BRP picked up the tab. If you need to talk to me about it you can call me at 780 922-2596. Eric (Amazng)

·
Registered
504 Posts
My Spyder is over a year old and only put the battery tender on if it going to sit for an extended period of time. Have never had any problems but I do relaize that just like newer cars there is a constant draw on the battery.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Mine has had weeks at a time without being ridden, and the battery has been fine. *knock on wood* Its an RS, so no radio... we've got a battery tender for the winter, but its not something we use in the summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
similar situation here.:(:confused:
I totally p... off about this fact that Spydies suck juice like a spounge.
2011 RT-SE5, July 11 bought - ride every day - through wintertime as well - some February morning as intended to drive to work - battery friggin dead - not enough crank amps!!!
My Dealer told me to put it on trickle charge whenever I dont drive ... I've said thats the biggest BS I've ever heard! He said I did not ride enough to achieve full charge ... even bigger BS!!!

first: I'm on remote jobsites - "Hotel-living" so, there is no way in hell to run extension cords across parking lots ...
second of all: a battery shouldnt die after 6 months anyway ... argued a while about completely uneducated statements but finally achieved a swap out for no x-tra cost - even my warranty was gone after 6 months ... new battery 2 weeks later - I've got stranded in downtown Portland - again dead "new" battery ... absolutely a huge hassle to get Spydie jumped by strangers while parked at absolute inaccessable parking spot still with 1st gear engaged ... misserable and very embarrassing sitation in public

Bottom line:
TIME FOR BRP to re-engineer Y electronics and come up with something to prevent this excessive battery drainage!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Over the years I have found batteries to be kind of fickle creatures. On our mr2 if I get lazy and don't put the tender on and have not driven it for a while the battery can go dead. I usually can get away with this about 4 times before it won't take a charge again. Motercycle batteries seem to be worse about being drained and not taking a charge. My RS has never had any problems and can sit for a couple of weeks and still fire right up but I use the tender on a regular basis. My advise for anyone who has had their spyder battery go dead is to get the battery load tested to make sure it is ok. If the battery is ok and still goes dead overnight or after just a few days you have an electrical or alternator problem that needs addressed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts