Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LCD in the dashboard of my 2015 rt is dying. When the bike is switched on...the display comes on as a GREEN 3 X2 inch oval.
Does anybody have any ideas?
When I look at replacing it ...I only find replacing the whole dashboard panel for about $1,000.
I really do not want to do that....
Anyone know of any source of used....junk yard ...versions?
Gauge Audio equipment Font Gas Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Might want to check your battery before you do anything else.
Then, given the cost and complexity of fixing it, I think I would just live with it as long as possible.
What happens with it after you ride for a while ??
Just because it is changing doesn't necessarily mean that it is on the way OUT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done a real battery test....but the battery has plenty of power to start the bike when it is cold. Yes...I will live with it as long as I can...The display does get a little better after I have been riding for a while. The question is....does anything bad happen if the display stops working...I really do not use it at all for my normal riding...the small print is too small for me to see and I have a GPS for speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes....but I do not know where the actual values are kept....probably not in the display itself...,but, when you remove the whole unit...there is quite a bit of electronics/chip in there.?.?

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
yes....but I do not know where the actual values are kept....probably not in the display itself...,but, when you remove the whole unit...there is quite a bit of electronics/chip in there.?.?
IF you can not SEE the odometer reading and it comes time to sell or trade it in......THAT might be a serious problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well....if push comes to shove....I will spend the money to buy a new one.....( I bought this bike...in 2018...with 3,500 miles on it...for less than half the price of a new one)...If I have to spend $ 1 K...on it...it is still a super deal....

·
Registered
24 Posts
old -- I notice your temperature is 78 which implies you live in a sunny warm area, as do I (San Diego). When I am parked I shield the display from the sun with a towel. I suggest you start doing that too.

I assume your RT has analog fuel level and coolant temperature gauges. If not I have leftovers (I installed voltmeter and oil pressure gauges in their place).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was at eBay checking on a shipment and looked at RT displays. There was a used one for $600. After examining the pictures it appears the unit is sealed and the LCD would not be available as a separable item.

I believe most DMVs have some mechanism to deal with broken odometers, probably involving a notarized affidavit and an extra fee.

·
Registered
24 Posts

They look to be in your neighborhood. I don't think I've purchased anything from them (maybe a BMW rim) but they seem to be a professional vendor.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
I believe most DMVs have some mechanism to deal with broken odometers, probably involving a notarized affidavit and an extra fee.
I think all or most of the states gave up on that years ago.
Now there is just a box to check in the transfer section of the title something to the effect that the actual mileage is unknown........and that then becomes a permanent note on the title.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts