Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this thread because I cant find the one I was tracking. Several people mentioned the quilted cooling vests that you dip in water. I have used one, or at least carried one for as long as I can remember. When its really hot, 100+ they are a life saver. I am careful to wear it under an air tight jacket IE: Klim latitude jacket, never with a mesh jacket as mentioned in one post. I then adjust the air flow through the jacket with the adjustable vents.

I have a cooling shirt from LD Comfort Long Sleeve Mock Zipper Top. Its a base layer you wear next to your skin. On cold mornings, its enough to help keep me warm without a mid layer, but on hot days, you soak the sleeves before putting on your wind proof outer layer. You control the cooling effect by adjusting the air traveling up your sleeve. Sounds strange that this would work, but I recommend this product.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
Do you have any relationship with the company in that link you posted ?

Both of the "click here" links that I clicked on resulted in "Not found".
Not very encouraging.

I would never order anything like that without a better description of how it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a review of the LD Comfort product. LD Comfort Synthetic Base Layer Undergarments Review
Here is my best attempt to describe this product. . Its a 2 layer fabric. You wet the outside layer, the inside layer stays dry. Wetting the sleeves, provides enough cooling to keep me comfortable for
several hours. The hot air enters at the wrist, is cooled as it passes by your wet lower arms and exits the jacket through a vent on the back of my jacket. They make several configurations of undershirts, and sleeves. I have only tried the shirt. This summer I rode my motorcycle R1200RT through Las Vegas to Utah for 6 hours at 111 degrees. The LD Comfort made the trip possible. I tried my Quilted cooling vest and went back to the LD Comfort shirt. I have played around with this thing for quite a while now and have some experience. If I use it on a 70 degree day, it will feel to cold. I belong to a group of long distance BMW riders, most use this product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am starting this thread because I cant find the one I was tracking. Several people mentioned the quilted cooling vests that you dip in water. I have used one, or at least carried one for as long as I can remember. When its really hot, 100+ they are a life saver. I am careful to wear it under an air tight jacket IE: Klim latitude jacket, never with a mesh jacket as mentioned in one post. I then adjust the air flow through the jacket with the adjustable vents.

I have a cooling shirt from LD Comfort Long Sleeve Mock Zipper Top. Its a base layer you wear next to your skin. On cold mornings, its enough to help keep me warm without a mid layer, but on hot days, you soak the sleeves before putting on your wind proof outer layer. You control the cooling effect by adjusting the air traveling up your sleeve. Sounds strange that this would work, but I recommend this product.
Even a roll up cooling towel (that you dip in water) can make a difference on a hot day. Nothing fancy needed, just pull over, put it on your shoulders and "chill". You can get those type of simple cooling towels at a <$5 store. I have the gel filled bandanas also, they will work all day as well. also chip also at a Walmart or 5 below style store

·
Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
24 Posts
I Live in Arizona, Tucson for the last 14 years and now up in the mountains at 5,000'. The cooling vest from Cycle gear is a good buy and works very well. I wear mine under my lightest mesh jacket and while it isn't AC it is a very efficient "Swamp Cooler". I can comfortably ride up to about 110 degrees but you do need to stop and re wet it about once an hour as they will dry out quickly in the low humidity of Arizona.

I won't need it as often now that we moved up to the mountains but a lot of our riding takes place when we are out camping and summers in Arizona are all they're cracked up to be. :eek:

:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts