Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am seriously considering buying a spyder, the models I am considering are a 2009 SM5 and a 2011 RS S, I would appreciate any information you can give me and if there are enough differences between these two to justify paying $7000 more for the 2011 model. I would like to hear your likes dislikes and any opinions you have on the spyder overall. I am presently riding a 2007 Harley streetglide. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi folks, I am seriously considering buying a spyder, the models I am considering are a 2009 SM5 and a 2011 RS S, I would appreciate any information you can give me and if there are enough differences between these two to justify paying $7000 more for the 2011 model. I would like to hear your likes dislikes and any opinions you have on the spyder overall. I am presently riding a 2007 Harley streetglide. Thanks for your help.
Spend some time and read the information contained in this forum and other forums. Know that not every person who bought a spyder has been happy with it. Some people have had long and protracted repair ordeals. The spyder has systems that are sensitive and sometimes unreliable. There is a recent recall campaign to replace the dynamic power steering units in almost the entire fleet because the steering locks up at random moments, scaring the bejesus out of its operator. Some problems that occur can only solved with proprietary software and computer diagnostics that only a dealer can own. The specification for drive belt tension is incorrect and has resulted in several bearing failures in both the transmission and rear wheel. The new specification for belt tension is in my opinion still too high.
If you are the tinkering type, spend $18 on ebay and get a repair manual and at least get some idea about the machine that lives under many plastic panels, its money well spent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Patrick,
I've had an '08 SM5 GS/RS for 2 years and got an RT SE5 3 weeks ago (already have 5,700 km on it). Very different machines -- but each great in their own ways.

I'm just back from a 2-up, 4,440 km, 10-day trip from Saskatoon to Vancouver on the RT and it was great. I wouldn't try that with the GS because of the different riding position (and no bags), but for a day-trip driver, the GS is fine. I had a V-Strom before and wouldn't go back to 2-wheels. Not sure how it'll compare to your HD, though.

There have been lots of stories about problems with the Spyder, but I've had zero issues. Find a good dealer know knows how to set them up right, and you should be fine.

About the differences between the 2 you're considering, I'd say that if you can get a good '09, save your money.

Cheers,
Rod.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rod, thanks for the reply, both spyders I am considering are the sport models they are the 2009 SM5 and a 2011 RS S, what is the difference between the SM5 and RS S? You feel I should go with the 2009 since it is much cheaper and the differences are not worth spending the extra cash? What about all the recalls I am reading about? To be honest I have some concerns; I plan on doing some long trips, do you feel the sport model is not suitable for long trips? I was thinking of putting on some soft bags when I go on longer trips. thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bob, thanks for the information it is helpful; I am going for a test ride tomorrow and then I will be able to decide for sure, I love the look of the spyder and I think I am at the age where three wheels would be nice. Anything you guys can tell me likes or dislikes would be a great help to me, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I like to hear lot's of positive feedback, I am a big fan of Corbin seats as well, it's nice to hear that people enjoy their spyders, I think I will be buying one next year, thanks for information and feedback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's what I like to hear lot's of positive feedback, I am a big fan of Corbin seats as well, it's nice to hear that people enjoy their spyders, I think I will be buying one next year, thanks for information and feedback.
It took me a couple of 100 km to get used to the differences in handling after a 2-wheeler. I don't think I'd go back, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow...a lot of information that isn't exactly accurate.

The 2011 RS-S comes with both Manual and Semi-auto transmission...not just the latter.

If the 2009 is brand new off the showroom floor why not go ahead and sae the extra 7 G's? It's an asset and you can always change your mind down the road. I bought a 2009 brand new this year have over 10,000 miles on it and had just one problem with it and it was mostly my fault for not paying attention to the bike. (I wore out a tire at 8,000 miles due to an alignment problem. Didn't know any better, lesson learned)

Buying the repair manual...great idea. Even if you do not perform all the work, at least it shows you some things you can do that are simple (like changing oil) that will save you the cost of the manual the first time you do something yourself.

The recalls - sure there are some but going in for the 600 mile service (highly recommended) and haing the BUDS hooked up to the machine takes care of most of them. The DPS recall is a little more involved but I got my notice, have not had a knee jerk reaction to that and scrambled to get my spyder in the shop because of one thing...not haing any current problems with the steering. I'll have it done when I take it in for the 12,000 mile service but there's no rush on my part.

The Spyder is like any other machine...best insurance policy you have is proper maintenance of all the fluids. It pays dividends to be able to do as much of the work yourself. Besides, it's not rocket science. :D

Buy the machine you want and get out there and RYDE!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have joined the spyder family:

I put a 2009 Phantom Black SM5 on lay away, I went for a test ride yesterday and yes it is much different than two wheels, but I think the differences is what make the spyder unique. I love the stability, reverse, and being able to enjoy the ride in complete comfort. Anyone who is on the fence about buying one, take a test ride, once I rode it my decision was made, thanks for all the feedback folks, I appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put a 2009 Phantom Black SM5 on lay away, I went for a test ride yesterday and yes it is much different than two wheels, but I think the differences is what make the spyder unique. I love the stability, reverse, and being able to enjoy the ride in complete comfort. Anyone who is on the fence about buying one, take a test ride, once I rode it my decision was made, thanks for all the feedback folks, I appreciate it. :)
Fantastic Patrick!
Will you have in time to ride a little before winter? Can't imagine the agony of having to wait 6 months 'til spring. (Actually, I can; I'm in S'toon).

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Rod, I think I will wait till spring, now that I have ridden one the wait will not be as bad, I really like the look and the ride of the spyder, I am ready to make the change to three wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Rod, I think I will wait till spring, now that I have ridden one the wait will not be as bad, I really like the look and the ride of the spyder, I am ready to make the change to three wheels.
Not to rub it in, but we're (finally) having a really nice weekend -- sunny and mid-20s -- so I got in over 400 km today and tomorrow could be another 500-600. Summer is just too darn short....

Today, I rode the GS/RS for the first time since getting the RT 4 weeks ago. What a different ride! Much more direct and quick. Sort of like going from a full-sized sedan to a sports car -- or from a Gold Wing to a sport bike, in two wheel terms. Like I said, both have their attributes -- all depends what your needs are.

Cheers,
Rod.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Corbin???? I bought a Corbin w/back rest. Had it on for a "short" time. Bad news for me. Sold it to a guy in Denver and he's not too happy with it either. Spyder seat's the best. "BUT", to each his own!:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
So why didn't you like the Corbin? Was it that it just didn't fit you, or was there some other issue? The stocker makes my right leg fall asleep after about 40 minutes... :eek:
I'm a left leg above the knee amputee so my prosthesis was held out from the foot rest. Also it was too hard and I was sliding around too much. The Spyder seat fits me better and I blend in???:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts