Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 63 years old and live in Shelby County AL. I have been an avid motorcycle rider since I was 14 and now I am considering a trike. After sitting on a Can Am Spyder Limited I think I have found what my wife and I are looking for. We enjoy going on long trips and this looks like the perfect answer. I would like to hear from owners about their experience with there Can Am's. Any problems with the local dealer in Birmingham and any advice you might want to offer. Really interested in experience with trailer towing. Also any groups in the area.

One trip we plan to make next year is the Memorial Day rolling thunder. I am a Viet Nam vet and have visited The Wall several times and now want to do it for Memorial Day. Any groups planning to make that trip I would love to hear from.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
My wife would not get on a 2 wheeled vehicle for anything. We even tried a Goldwing. At the first lean into the turn she would tense up and want to go straight home. We did a demo ride on a Spyder RT and she wanted the white one!

So we ended up with the RT LTD. We did a couple of short rides then did 235 miles in a single day. Except for the ride home in the 102 degree weather (we live in Phoenix, AZ) she loved the ride and was wondering when the next one would be.

I'm a big guy and used to ride a sport bike. The steering was a little touchy at first. After taking the front preload all the way up and airing the front tires to 20PSI, the ride is much better. I have no problem keeping up with cruisers and no desire to try and keep up with the sport bikes (the RT LTD is a luxury vehicle after all).

I'm planning on doing a Saddle Sore 1000 this weekend weather and fires permitting.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My wife would not get on a 2 wheeled vehicle for anything. We even tried a Goldwing. At the first lean into the turn she would tense up and want to go straight home. We did a demo ride on a Spyder RT and she wanted the white one!

So we ended up with the RT LTD. We did a couple of short rides then did 235 miles in a single day. Except for the ride home in the 102 degree weather (we live in Phoenix, AZ) she loved the ride and was wondering when the next one would be.

I'm a big guy and used to ride a sport bike. The steering was a little touchy at first. After taking the front preload all the way up and airing the front tires to 20PSI, the ride is much better. I have no problem keeping up with cruisers and no desire to try and keep up with the sport bikes (the RT LTD is a luxury vehicle after all).

I'm planning on doing a Saddle Sore 1000 this weekend weather and fires permitting.
Sounds like fun:) David

·
Registered
8 Posts
2009 Limited

I bought one of the last 2099 Limited in the dealerships, this last march 2011.. I know of one other still for sale. I love riding this bike! Everyone I give a ride to, especially, the ladies, feel so secure but yet it so much fun. I have not had any problems with the bike. I was just at the dealership and they were demonstrating the new tourning model. I noticed that they are much quieter, and a bit smoother at idle..no dought a little de-tuned for a smoother expereince. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Gcain!! Its nice that you and your wife found something you can both relax and enjoy. Big difference, being comfortable enough to enjoy the view!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm from Trussville, Al. and recently purchased a 2011 Spyder RT SE5 for my
wife who did not have any riding experience at all, but thanks to the three wheels and semi-automatic transmission and 700 miles of riding you would
think she had been riding for years. I have a 09 Goldwing and we throughly enjoy riding together. She also preferred driving over riding, even in the car.

We bought our Spyder in Hamilton, nothing wrong with B'ham dealer, just got a better deal in Hamilton.

Hope to see you on the road sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Spydeeman! wonderful that your wife took to it so quickly!! Sure is more fun when both enjoy riding!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We placed the order

I am very lucky that my wife loves to ride. We went to the dealer in B'ham last night and ordered the 2011 RT Limited with the trailer hitch option. Only problem with the trailer is the matching white want be available until Nov.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts