Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. First a bit about myself. Am a 71 year old retired car dealer. Am a administrator/moderator on a few motorcycle and car forums. Have had many motorcycles all my life. Have had 8 Goldwings plus other makes. Recently had a back operation that left me with left drop foot. So with great pain and sadness am selling my Goldwing F6b and looking into maybe purchasing a Spyder.
A couple of years ago had a Goldwing Gl1800 trike and hated the ride. The side to side motion even with the independent rear suspension was too much. Sold it.
Don’t really want a trike but between the drop foot, my age, and the Goldwing’s weight, it seems the logical choice if I want to continue some form of riding. So am researching and reading the forums about the Spyders. Seems 2015 and up is the way to go. Will need the automatic due to the drop foot. Also cruise and Ufit. Going to go to one of the dealers and see if I can get a test drive to feel the ride, power, handling, and rider ergonomics.
Since I was a technician for years, usually do all my own maintenance. Curious about the complexity of Spyder maintenance. Also curious about reliability. I ride very rural country roads out in the middle of nowhere. Purchase Budget limit is around 15k to 17k. Will only be doing around 2000 miles per year. The Mrs has health issues that prevent her from riding anymore.
Well going to shut up. Nobody likes super long posts. Glad to join all of you and thanks in advance for any expertise or advice you offer. Tom

·
Registered
2016 RTS White
11 Posts
Sir, I am 72 and bought my 1st spyder about 3 yrs ago. I have also ridden 2 wheels since i was around 14 yrs old. I still have 2 bikes along with my spyder. There isn't much maintenance to do on these rides. Change the oil every 9k miles and of course just the regular tire pressure check/etc. I went to the spyder cus I test drove goldwings trikes. Did NOT like the way they stirred. Scared the heck out of me.
Bottom line is my wife does not worry about me when I'm out riding my spyder, but she worries all the time I am riding the 2 wheelers.

BTW, there is another forum out there all about spyders. It is a little more active than this one. I am a member of both. I'm sure I would get booted off if I mentioned the other site. Just do a internet search for spyder lovers.
Good luck and hope you enjoy.
Bob

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
Two things:

The geometry of 3 wheels makes the ride ENTIRELY different.
My first two test rides, I swore that the wheels were loose and it would KILL me.
They weren't and it didn't........but it took me longer than most to adjust. Maybe 6 months and a couple of thousand miles.......and a couple of adjustments too.

Given your comment about country roads, you should consider a belt guard if you do get a Spyder.

·
Registered
2016 F3 T
10 Posts
Health reasons had me sell my Victory Cross Country, and in order to keep riding, I got myself a 2016 Can Am F3 T Ltd, had it not 2 months yet have put 6000 kms on it and it took couple thousand Kms to get the feel for it, but now I love it. Can't speak to maintenance or reliability yet, but I sure am glad to be back in the wind, demo one, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Tim W. and Tourer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone. First a bit about myself. Am a 71 year old retired car dealer. Am a administrator/moderator on a few motorcycle and car forums. Have had many motorcycles all my life. Have had 8 Goldwings plus other makes. Recently had a back operation that left me with left drop foot. So with great pain and sadness am selling my Goldwing F6b and looking into maybe purchasing a Spyder.
A couple of years ago had a Goldwing Gl1800 trike and hated the ride. The side to side motion even with the independent rear suspension was too much. Sold it.
Don’t really want a trike but between the drop foot, my age, and the Goldwing’s weight, it seems the logical choice if I want to continue some form of riding. So am researching and reading the forums about the Spyders. Seems 2015 and up is the way to go. Will need the automatic due to the drop foot. Also cruise and Ufit. Going to go to one of the dealers and see if I can get a test drive to feel the ride, power, handling, and rider ergonomics.
Since I was a technician for years, usually do all my own maintenance. Curious about the complexity of Spyder maintenance. Also curious about reliability. I ride very rural country roads out in the middle of nowhere. Purchase Budget limit is around 15k to 17k. Will only be doing around 2000 miles per year. The Mrs has health issues that prevent her from riding anymore.
Well going to shut up. Nobody likes super long posts. Glad to join all of you and thanks in advance for any expertise or advice you offer. Tom
Recommend you look up John & Miriam’s Travel Vlog on YouTub. It’ll give you some perspective on purchase and mainte of Can Am Spyders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems as a lot of us have gone thru the same thing Tom, age, physical problems etc. I just traded my 2018 GW in on 2022 spyder RT, and it is different but better, glad I changed .The one thing I miss is the handling of the honda , still have to realize that I need to be in the middle of the lane and not the left side , also having to upshift ( had the dct ).

So far I have about 500 miles on the RT and still figuring how things work and what upgrades I need to make, more rear lights and foam grips.

Good luck, Ron

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
The longer you ride it the more you get used to it. Yes, you do have to stay in the middle of the lane, butttttt, it is still safer IMO.
Which contributes to the "unstable" feeling......if there is a hump in the middle of the lane that your back wheel goes up and down on as you move around slightly within the lane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts