Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden Harley's for 20 years (and faithful to my last ride of 13 years). My mother (also an avid harley rider) recently had a bad incident with a deer and we would all feel better if she was on three wheels. Well, while looking at the Can Am Spyder RT, I have found that I am much more serious about getting one than she is. We are going to rent an RT next weekend (11/20)and see what it's like. My girlfriend is not real excited about the Harley, but the extra wheel and added weight, I think makes warm up more to the Spyder too. I have looked over many of the criticisms of the Spyder line and many seem to come from people who were dedicated Moto-Tour types (Goldwing and BMW). I don't expect the Spyder to feel like a motorcycle and I'm sure that the Spyder will have enough power for me. I'm excited! I'll ket you know what my first impressions are this weekend. Since cost will be a factor, I think that I am shooting more for the base RT. The dealer that I went to had a good price on a 2010 model.

· Registered
85 Posts
Welcome, and have fun on that Spyder, it takes about a 100 miles to get use to. new stuff to learn, but it is a dream once you master it. I new within the first 5 minutes I had to have one :D

looking forward to your evaluation. Give it high RPMs when riding her, and don't grip the handle bars too tight :) Not sure of your weight but many like the front shock settings at #5, maybe the dealer can do that for you since your renting it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weight?

With all my gear on, I'm probably about 148-150 pounds. RPM, yeah, I saw on one of the Spyder video's that the red line was like 9K rpm. It wont be like my Harley I'm sure. I will write back after the weekend and give my evaulation, but from all of the Fred Rau stuff and otehr testimonials, I can't help but think that I'm gonna want one.
Best Wishes,
John S,

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Evaluation

Sorry that I took so long to respond, but I've been over at SpyderLovers.com. So, the weekend that I was set to rent the Spyder, it rained pretty heavy. I had all my rain gear on, but the dealer called and cancelled on me (don't blame him due to liability). I really felt that there were so many positive things on the 'Net that I went ahead and bought one. So, what did I think? My first impression was not good. It's very sensitive to control inputs (I'm used to the Harley which is slow but intuitive). It took me about 20 miles to really get used to it and to not lean so heavily forward on the bars and to loosen up my grip. I have put a little over 300 miles on the Spyder now and I really like it. Very nice seat, handlebar grips are too small to be really comfortable (I hear grip puppies help). The engine has enough power to be safe on the highway as well as in town (hydaulic clutch is very nice). On You Tube, the phrase that I heard is "You don't have to lean into a curve, it's more of a style thing." Maybe at low speeds, but when you're cruising around a sweeper or a tight curve, I think you really have to lean into it to be in control. The bike will lean just a touch and then "take a set" - then you can ride right through the rest of the curve. Overall, I'm quite happy. Plenty of storage space, nice seat, heated grips (very nice), electric wind screen and pretty responsive. Only thing was that there is a stabilizer bolt that was hitting the frame giving some vibration. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome aboard! I was glad to hear that you gave yourself (and your Spyder) some time to get acquainted before getting things set in your mind... :cool: Sometimes you can just grab the "tank" with your knees to help get comfy in the turns also... How do you like tinkering with the windshield? I've been running mine up and down enough in traffic to find that seem to get the quietist ride with it "almost" all the way up...(maybe down about 2"...)
Keep piling on the miles and give us more reports! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.