Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Spyder F3. The VSS fault light has been flashing on and back off when starting my Spyder. Recent issue is the Spyder will not start had to get bike towed to the dealer today. The "Check Key" light came on and I am unable to use any of the functions (ie parking brake, mode switch, settings) nothing works at all. Fuel is topped off yet the fuel symbol is lit. After about 30-40 sec the display and everything electrical shuts off completely. Battery checked out fine. It is frustrating having something new not work. Has anyone had an issue with their keys or the ignition? I will update with information from the dealer when received.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I've heard of this kind of a problem.
Exactly how did the battery "check out fine" ?
Sometimes a bad battery will still pass some simple tests.
Could also be a loose main battery connection.
It was tested with the TopDon BT200 battery tester. It seems more of an ignition issue because there is clicking when the key is turned to the on position. The display flickers for a few seconds then nothing.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
It was tested with the TopDon BT200 battery tester. It seems more of an ignition issue because there is clicking when the key is turned to the on position. The display flickers for a few seconds then nothing.
That doesn't sound anything like an "ignition problem" to me.
It sounds VERY much like a 12 V power delivery problem.
The ignition circuitry is only one thing that can cause it......and not a very likely one.

You need to turn it ON so that it fails and then start tracing the 12 V power to see where it fails.
Start at the battery posts. Then the connectors attached to the battery posts.
THEN from chassis ground to the positive post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That doesn't sound anything like an "ignition problem" to me.
It sounds VERY much like a 12 V power delivery problem.
The ignition circuitry is only one thing that can cause it......and not a very likely one.

You need to turn it ON so that it fails and then start tracing the 12 V power to see where it fails.
Start at the battery posts. Then the connectors attached to the battery posts.
THEN from chassis ground to the positive post.
You were absolutely correct...the grounding cable was the issue. Thanks for the replies. I was beyond frustrated:unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 Spyder F3. The VSS fault light has been flashing on and back off when starting my Spyder. Recent issue is the Spyder will not start had to get bike towed to the dealer today. The "Check Key" light came on and I am unable to use any of the functions (ie parking brake, mode switch, settings) nothing works at all. Fuel is topped off yet the fuel symbol is lit. After about 30-40 sec the display and everything electrical shuts off completely. Battery checked out fine. It is frustrating having something new not work. Has anyone had an issue with their keys or the ignition? I will update with information from the dealer when received.
I have a 2021 sea to sky and have had the same check key come on. Stopped to put fuel in and when I went to restart that came up. A mechanic from a can am dealer just happed to be at the same station and saw that I was having issues. He tried everything that he could think of and even phoned his boss and they could not come up with a solution. Pushed the bike away from the pumps and tried again. Nothing. Eventually had to spend the night where I was at. Went to it the next morning and it started no problem. The dealership thought there may have been something interfering with the signal..Haven’t had a problem since. “Knock on wood” They reprogrammed the keys anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my 2021 Can Am Ryker Rally do the same thing now I have to call the dealership and have them pick it up to fix the damn thing They said check the battery charge it and then bring it in I won’t even take a charge I hear it clicking trying to almost like the old days in the old solenoids

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my 2021 Can-Am Ryker rally do the exact same thing this morning and the dealership said I will charge the battery it sounds like a dead battery yeah I won’t even take it it’s not the charger it’s not charging it’s clicking trying to turn over with a VSS fault check key so I’m gonna have them come and tow it that’s what I paid for the warranty for

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2021 sea to sky and have had the same check key come on. Stopped to put fuel in and when I went to restart that came up. A mechanic from a can am dealer just happed to be at the same station and saw that I was having issues. He tried everything that he could think of and even phoned his boss and they could not come up with a solution. Pushed the bike away from the pumps and tried again. Nothing. Eventually had to spend the night where I was at. Went to it the next morning and it started no problem. The dealership thought there may have been something interfering with the signal..Haven’t had a problem since. “Knock on wood” They reprogrammed the keys anyway.
Most situations I have seen was either a ground or power cable loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had my 2021 Can-Am Ryker rally do the exact same thing this morning and the dealership said I will charge the battery it sounds like a dead battery yeah I won’t even take it it’s not the charger it’s not charging it’s clicking trying to turn over with a VSS fault check key so I’m gonna have them come and tow it that’s what I paid for the warranty for
Check your ground and power cable. Sometimes they appear to be tight but not fully seated in the lock nut

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
I hear it clicking trying to almost like the old days in the old solenoids
How LONG did you leave the charger connected ?
And what is it's rated capacity ??

The "modern" starter relays are not that much different from the "old solenoids".
That is why it sounds like it does.

But you probably are doing the right thing with having them come to get it.
A lot of dealers neglect the batteries on their "floor stock" and it is not unusual for one to go bad shortly after the sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts