Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know the factory CB unit will work with those small handheld ones?

I have a couple of Cobras and I ma trying to figure out if they and the factory CB unit will work with each other

wife is still determined to get her license and since I can't fit behind her on the bike once she gets her learners I need to be able to drive close to her and would like to be able to talk too

so far they don't seem to like each other ( the radios that is)

any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That doesn't make sense that they don't work together? A CB channel is a CB channel. Unless you have an antenna problem? Are they both on the same channel?

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it does not make sense

and yes both are on the same channels.

I even took teh security codes out of the walkie talkies.

I am pretty sure it's not an antenna issue as I can hear others on both systems

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings. If, by "walkie talkie," you are referring to the handheld radios used in either the Family Radio Service (FRS) or the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), then no, they are not compatible with Citizens' Band radios. Here is why:

FRS/GMRS radios operate in the Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) band of radio frequencies...450 megahertz (Mhz).
CB radios operate in the High Frequency (HF) band...27 Mhz.

Also, FRS/GMRS radios use frequency modulation to impress a voice pattern on the transmitted signal. CBs use amplitude modulation to do that.

The fact that both types of radios have channel numbers does not mean that they are operating in the same frequency range or are compatible with one another.

If your machine has a factory CB radio, you'll need another CB radio to talk to it. Fortunately, there are some pretty good handheld CB (27 Mhz) radios on the market...Midland makes, or made, several different types and there are others as well.

One other thing: CB radios and FRS radios do not require licenses, BUT operators of GMRS radios must have an FCC license.

Bob W6LPH

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, Bob is right. I didn't think you might be looking at the FRS or GMRS radios. Good thinking Bob.

I'd like to hook up a 2 meter radio into my Spyder if there was a chance that there were some other Hams in my area? But that would be a project in the future.

John
KB4QXI

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have a Spyder, but come over here to look into them, as I'm thinking about going to a trike or sidecar rig sometime in the future. I currently ride a BMW R1100R, which can be easily hacked.

I generally carry a cell phone, a handheld 2m/70cm radio and a handheld CB with me in a saddlebag. Between those three, I should be able to reach someone if necessary. I don't, however, talk on them while riding. I know enough about myself to know that riding is a complex skill which demands my attention and I'm not much of a mult-tasker, so I don't run mobile radios...maybe I will in the future when I get a trike...don't know.

Nice to know there are other hams over here!

KB4QXI de W6LPH 73

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very interesting, but I thought mine were the same frreq as CB, but I was thinking of the security that can put on them so others can't over hear you..

yeah I may have to look into a real cheap handheld walkie talkie here

but dang not too many places sell them up here

thx

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Paladin. If you can post a photo of your radios-particularly closeups-I may be able to tell you what type of radios they are.

Alternatively, if you can post the make and model of your radios, I may be able to do the same...

Let me know...

Bob

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, that's one of the combination FRS/GMRS 450 Mhz FM handheld radios I described earlier...not compatible with CB.

Here are some examples of CB 27 Mhz AM handheld radios which would be compatible with your factory CB radio:

Midland Radio - Midland Radio | Communication Solutions For Your World
Midland Radio - Midland Radio | Communication Solutions For Your World
https://www.cobra.com/detail/hh-38-wx-st-hand-held-cb-radio-with-weather-soundtracker.cfm

Only $40K? Seems cheap at the price.... :)

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL !!!!!!!!!!

I just need a cheap Cb walkie talkie of some sort

will only be used while she is training, once she gets her learners

1 - 14 of 14 Posts