Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm going to try and be as diplomatic as possible but right now I am not a happy camper. I purchased a 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited plus accessories, spending roughly $32,000! I am on my third CB and now this one is not working properly. With that said, my first question is, has BPR even acknowledge that they have a MAJOR issue with their CB unites? When my dealer calls BPR Tech Support NO ONE at seems to know anything about the CB's, not even basic wiring or setting questions. Come on BPR you are better than that!

My second question is who makes BPR's CB? And is there an after market CB that will plug into the Spyders existing connections and integrate with the rest of the system.

My second issue is the headset. No matter what is playing sound only comes out of the left ear piece and then to top that off one of the dealers employees tried to tell me that that was normal.

Up until now the service has been outstanding and first class all the way but this whole communications issue is really making my dealer look bad and most certainly makes one question BPR's commitment to building a machine that can compete with high-end touring bikes such as the BMW 1600, Goldwing an H-D Ultra.

I am open for suggestions!

Bob F
Ames, IA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I found out that the CB is manufactured by 'Radio Sound Inc' out of Ky and is the same company who makes the CB's for HD. I would think that the two CB's would be virtually identical but who knows. Assuming they are the same unit than that narrows the issues down to wiring, antenna and headset. So I guess my best option at this point is to spend more money and I really don't like the idea of paying for a product and then having to spend more money to make it work right - know what I mean? But if I were to bite the bullet and do that I need to purchase a JM Corp Antenna for $99 and have it installed. NOTE: I was in a motorcycle accident and my left arm does not work properly so I have to find someone to help me do installs. Anyway, since I'm going to order the new Nolan N104 helmet I may as well order the hardwired cord from JM when I order the antenna. And finally, find a CB shop and have the antenna tuned. In theory, I should then have a working CB Radio.

This is most likely the steps I will take later this week. The burning questions is WHY HAVE WE BEEN PUT INTO A POSITION AS CUSTOMERS TO HAVE TO DO THiS??????? Shouldn't BPR and it's dealers be addressing this issue and fixing the problem? Is this an indication of what we can expect when other issues arise?

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
the sound should not come out of just one side

I got the JM corp antenna and that seemed to have cured my transmitting issues. I also got one of their helmets with built in headset (scorpion), but I am having issues with it as I accidently hit the door jam and broke off the connector, but that was my fault

I am not sure what to say about BRP. I have had no issues what so ever with my dealer getting answers to any issues I have had.

Lots of people seem to have found that their dealers really don't seem to know what to do with any sort of "odd" things that seem to crop up.

But I think that's common with a lot of vehicle dealers, untill they get an answer and resolve the "odd" issues, they seem lost

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took delivery of a RT SE5 yesterday and I can get no sound other than static out of my helmet speakers. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I have the J&M antenna upgrade and the J&M headset

I am still having issues with the CB system. I can be ubderstood with no issues at all at slow speeds, but can't be understood at higher speeds

I think there needs to be some noise filters installed.

Since bike is in the shop to get some issues we had in Calif sorted out I asked them to take another look into it

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 Spider RT with the same problem, a big let down after having a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic that I could travel with. This radio issue has me so upset we always travel with a group and use the radio a lot.

Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if BRP has been informed about the CB problem? Iwas at the dealer this week and they had no knowledge of a problem. Also does anyone make an adapter to use a helmet used on HD to work with the spider RT?

Larry

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
My dealer is working on mine, but have been so busy lately

and I don't think there is an adapter for Harley's

these are the guys who would know

J&M Motorcycle Audio

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I was considering the "CB" just to get the wired intercom. Already have the XM radio which requires an entertainment harness. Question??? Do you have to buy another entertainment harness if you get the CB? If the CB has all these issues, I may forget it anyway.

Also, while riding, has anyone ever riden under big time power lines that cross the road and been SHOCKED?? If you have part of your hand on the handlebar endcap (which is metal), YOU MAY BE JOLTED......When riding to work on humid days, foggy weather, overcast, even with gloves on, YES WITH DRY CAN-AM LEATHER GLOVES..The power line is at least 70'+ above the road. It Will knock the ship out of your arm!!!! Still, I love my ride..

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
you only need the one entertainment harness for everything

·
Registered
36 Posts
Their are certain majority of CB-related issues raised due to improper antenna installation and high SWR, radios can cause problems from time to time. Their are the most common radio problems and things to address them have been established.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
established by who?

my guys are in the dark as to the issues I have

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer said they ordered new antenna two week ago after talking with BRP. Just got off the phone with BRP they have no record of any communication with the dealer about my spider. They stated they had not heard of any issues with the CB. After spending a large sum of money it appears that I have been taken. Not sure what my next move will be but not a happy spider owner.

Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well today my friend and I were back at the dealer and they installed the new upgrade to our CB antennas the CSCBA 300 from J & M and the CB worked great. Just took a while to get the problem fixed.

Larry

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I have the same antenna which I installed during the winter and I am still having issues with the cb system

·
Registered
4 Posts
J&M CB antenna

I had a 2011 RT-S that I had the CB installed when I bought it, What a mistake! Never do that, my friend John that own's J&M. He and his wife both have a RT Limited with Stock CB's and there J&M CB Antenna, he sent me one and it fixed all the problems I had with the radio.

·
Registered
143 Posts
To everyone with CB's. If you have an antenna that is not grounded good or has a high SWR ( Standing wave ratio ) it will cause all kinds of problems, poor TX or RX, burning out the finals, poor audio etc. The ant. has to be tuned the the bike for best performance. I have worked with CB, Ham, Microwave at my job and at home. The money BRP charges for the CB. is abseen, you can buy a CB at any truck stop for about $100.00 + or -. so I think $200 to $250 would be about right, but $700 to $800 come on lets get real.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts