Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

CB Radio for 2016 RT6 Limited

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kenr57 
#1 ·
I have purchased the SR10 radio adapter, the Midland hand held CB and the connector unit. At first, all I could get was a very loud high pitched squeal when the mike was keyed. Some on here have expressed the same problem. This is offered for information only. I, in no way recommend it as it may or may not work for you. Use your own judgment.

A friend and I spent several hours trying to locate the source of the squeal. We identified that when the SR10 was not connected to the bike wiring thereby operating only on its internal battery, there was no squeal and the unit operated perfectly. When reconnected to the bike 12v outlet, the squeal returned.

Therefore, the squeal was emanating from the bike itself. We then:
1) direct wired the SR10 power plug to the battery by holding live hot wire against the tip of the male 12v plug and the negative wire against the metal on the side - - no squeal and the CB operated great.
2) left hot wire connected to battery and connected the ground to the bike - squeal returned

Therefore we then knew that we had to bypass the bike ground. I created a new harness with a male plug and a female outlet. We connected only the hot power line between the two (no ground connected in the harness). The CB was connected to the bike’s 12v outlet and the SR10 was connected to the new 12v outlet harness (again ground wires not connected). - - WOW!! CB worked perfectly with no squeal.

Don’t asked me why this worked because I just don’t know. My only thought is that the SR10 is grounded thru the connected CB radio which is grounded thru the CB antenna. When the SR10 was connected to the bike wiring as well as connected to the CB, maybe the two grounding sources created some sort of interference. Anyway it worked for me. Attached is a drawing that I made of this concept and a photo of the set-up in the rear trunk.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The CB was connected to the bike’s 12v outlet and the SR10 was connected to the new 12v outlet harness (again ground wires not connected). - - WOW!! CB worked perfectly with no squeal.

Don’t asked me why this worked because I just don’t know.
You might just be fooling yourself here.
Take the batteries OUT of the SR10 and see if it still works.
With no power ground connected, you probably are running off of the internal batteries.

#3 ·
It’s how you are powering the CB itself. I found that when I plugged the auto Cig plug into a power outlet I got noise but when I used the battery pack I didn’t.
I now use a modified USB to Cig adapter where I removed the Cig socket and soldered it to the auto adapter of the radio. (I unsoldered the power cable). I use the built in antenna but if I want to use an external antenna I’ll solder the bulky cable back in. (Just the antenna part).
I got the USB to Cig adapter off Amazon. Cut the Cig part off. The cable has a transformer that converted the 4v to 12 to power the radio. (At least I think it does).

#4 ·
The SR10 has rechargeable batteries and are not removable. I recharge it every couple of days and I don’t need to power it all the time. I just power the CB with 4v USB power port and use a converter soldered to the radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.