Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was hoping for some suggestions on which model to purchase. I really like the RS-S version but am concerned about touring. I was wondering if anyone with a RS and the touring windshield could compare the wind defection compared to an RT. I do enjoy riding in the wind on warm days and will be most of my riding but I also want to tour.
I took a 3000 mile trip this summer on a motorcycle and loved the time on the road but the wind pressure was a a little to much after a few thousand miles.

So let me refresh my question. Is there much if any difference in wind protection on an RS with the ultra touring screen/wind deflectors and a RT?

Thanks
HH

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, HH!

I ride an '08 RS SM5, and I've got the touring windshield with the hand windblockers, and also the standard shortie. I used the touring model when it was chillier, and am now using the stock windshield. The difference for me is more about the temperature; the touring model blocked so much wind that I wasn't getting any air behind it any lower than my helmet - I'm 5'4". The stock shield is preferable when the temperature is warm enough to wear my summer gear.

The wind hasn't given me much problem as far as pressure-wise; though I've not ridden longer than about 6 hours at a time. As far as keeping the wind off when the cooler temps are with us, I'm all about it!!

Not sure if I answered what you needed, but there you go... my review. :)

Sass

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
This may seem like a poor analogy... but there's a point to it. :D
"You can't turn a pig into a racehorse... but with enough time, effort and money you can end up with a pretty fast pig"

The RS will never match the RT for touring comfort, but you can make huge improvements in the basic package with some accessories.

Sass mentioned the different-height windshields for the RS... The RT's adjusts vertically! :cool: The bodywork is a lot larger on the RT, so the wind is shoveled off to the sides in a very effective manner... I've even considered removing the lower deflectors to let a bit more get to me as the temperatures got a bit too... interesting! :eek:
That, plus the "better" seat, plus the electronic cruise control, PLUS the stereo... that's why I'm on the RT... :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have an RS and a friend that I ride with has an RT. In my mind I think of the RS as more in the image of a sport bike and the RT more like a Gold Wing. I love my RS but if I was going to do a lot of long distance (more than a day trip) riding I might have to consider the RT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an RS and a friend that I ride with has an RT. In my mind I think of the RS as more in the image of a sport bike and the RT more like a Gold Wing. I love my RS but if I was going to do a lot of long distance (more than a day trip) riding I might have to consider the RT.
Exactly, if you're are traveling across the country, buy an RT. If you're riding 5K a year, buy the RS

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Hey Bob you should look into the air deflectors you can buy for the RT

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the RT and love amount of stuff it will hold when I run errands. It is sporty enough for my wife and I and she will actually ride on the back. Without some sort of back rest she is not comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I may just need to rent an RS for a day to see how well it handles the express way. I just like the sport version a lot more for a daily rider and the summers in Chicagoland are so darn hot I think the massive RT fairing would be to much.
I ride a Road King now and wish it was sportier so that's why the RS may suit me better and since I love to tinker I may get bored of the RT real fast.

Last tidbit any one with as RS do any long trips? If so was highway riding enjoyable for long lengths of time?

HH

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a GS or RS as they're called now, it's nothing for me to ride 400 miles in a day, you will need to add a taller windshield (I went with Calsci 20" tinted shorty) and at least 3" risers to make the trip more comfortable, I also added the BRP comfort seat and sport rack with back rest and ergonomic foot peg extenders for a passenger. Even with all these accessories, I'm still less than 20K which is way less than the RT, I have yet to go on a ride where I need additional side bag or trunk storage, even if you do you can add the saddle bags for less than 1K, IMO the RS handles better and looks better.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Jeff,

My RS is very similar in set up to yours. I added the ISCI hand brake, Kewlmetel 7" handle bars, evolutionzone sway bar and elka shocks. My wife loves the BRP back rest when she rides with me and I was suprised that she doesn't mind the hindle exhaust at all. I almost ordered the corbin seat but found a good deal on the BRP comfort seat and find I really like it. The stock RS seat left a lot to be desired as far as I was concerned.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I may just need to rent an RS for a day to see how well it handles the express way. I just like the sport version a lot more for a daily rider and the summers in Chicagoland are so darn hot I think the massive RT fairing would be to much.
I ride a Road King now and wish it was sportier so that's why the RS may suit me better and since I love to tinker I may get bored of the RT real fast.

Last tidbit any one with as RS do any long trips? If so was highway riding enjoyable for long lengths of time?

HH
If your interested we are having a get together on Sunday at the Bristol Tap 16 S Cannonball Trl, Bristol, IL at 12:00. You will get to talk to a number of owners and see a lot of options. There will be RT and RS Spyders there. I have a GS that I go 400+ miles on without issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same issue you did as what to purchase, RS or RT. I did get the RT because I plan on doing some trips and I love the storage. The look of the RS is awesome especially the 2012 in the green. It was a hard choice but for me I'm happy. Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed. The ride is awesome. Good luck in your choice.:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts