Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to find out if it is possable to do my own oil change at 600 and 3000 miles. I did almost all the work on my 2 wheel bike. (Harley Ultra) All I have been reading about is how the computer will put it in a limp mode. If I do the oil change and all of the other maintainace work is there a way around the computer.
Also I have been trying to find a service and maintenance manual on a 2011 RT roadster. I called the dealer and they said it would be $173.00. A first time oil change is $282.00 for the 600 mile.
So I guess my real question is dose anyone do the work themselves, or do I have to take it to a dealer...
Thanks to everyone that gives any advice....:confused:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hey, Tin Can, I've got a 2008 RS SM5 and my husband and I did the oil change ourselves. Check your manual that came with the bike, it should have instructions on the steps required. Maintenance on these things can cost quite a bit; doing the work yourself will save you some money for sure!

·
Registered
76 Posts
You Bet!

Absolutely positively you can do your own oil changes. As was mentioned, the owner's manual is fairly detailed about what is involved in doing most routine maintenance. I will PM you when I'm back at my own computer with pictures of my recent oil change.Also I have information about a cdrom manual source. See you soon,

Patrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info... Patrick looking forward to your e-mail, thanks again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stuartlee
Just got the bike last week. A new 2011 only have 200 miles on it, and it is snowing in Louisville right now. That said after reading all of the info on this forum the feeling I get is to let the shop do the first and second that way it takes care of all the computer up dates.
Good luck on your bike, sorry I could not help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Stuart, we didn't face any problems while changing our oil; just follow the steps in the manual that came with your bike. I suggest reading through them all the way before you start. I'm by no means mechanically inclined, but I understood the instructions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
600 Mile

The 600 mile check is actually based on 1000 Kilometers.(Canadian eh?) The 600 mile does include an oil change especially important for the SE5. You can change your own oil eventually, but I would advise to let the dealer give the Spyder the once over as an initial check after assembly. There is a long list of items they check and my initial service corrected a lot af assembly and fitment errors. (latches, alignments, headlight aim etc...) I will pm my pictures shortly. To reinforce a point, yes you can do your own maintenance, the tool requirements are few but specialized, like ball hex wrenches and Torx bits. Well enough of this bandwidth killer for now.

Patrick

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts