Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 2018 Spyder RT Limited. I am having problems with the BRP Connect. I have it loaded on the Smart Phone but cannot get the phone to pair with my bike. I admit I am not very technical with the new Smart Phone technology. I have been on the BRP Connect site and have looked at all the videos at least 3 times. Has anyone else had this problem? The Dealer is aware of the problem I am having and is not sure what to do. Any help or ideas would b e greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you do not have an iPhone, you may have problems.
Ask dealer to confirm the latest version of the firmware is installed on bike.. Make sure you have the latest software update on your phone!
DON'T HOOK THE PHONE TO THE BIKE TO PAIR THE BLUETOOTH FUNCTION! You do this step just like pairing to your car, etc. Then you plug up the phone to the bike.
The bike has a pairing or searching/visible mode, just like a car. Play with the joy stick till you find that function.
In order to get my Samsung Note 8 (Android) to link, I had to put the bike in search mode first and then my phone. If that does not work. Do the opposite sequence. I had to try about 4 times before I got it to link. I did not have to enter the code, it just decided it was happy and linked.
Be aware that if you have an Android, AccuWeather and Rever are not available yet. Only on iPhone at the present.
Also be aware that Genius Maps and Sygic are two different mapping softwares. You have to pay $80.00 to get the two components of Genius Maps downloaded to your phone, but Can Am will reimburse you. Your dealer should have told you about this.
My dealer is investigating the cost of Sygic as it is has just been added to BRP Connect.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This system is so sad. You never know if you will be able to play music or not OR how long it will stay connected when it does connect. Hard to imagine putting this product on the market without working the bugs out. It has ruined my whole Spyder experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make sure to have the latest dash software updates. Current is 13.2 and a new one soon to be available is 20.3. Make sure phone is up to date. The phone has to be unlocked and if you don't have to latest update then BRP Connect needs to be open. Read the 2019 operators manual and learn how it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Flame winger; have tried your link a couple of times with no results. I get to the front page of the 2019 owners manual then nothing downloads after that. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You use the dropdown list to choose the 2019 RT Ltd. Then click the English version and wait, it will pop up. Either that or go to dealer and copy one in a new bike. Use the mouse to scroll through the pages and find page 28.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This system is so sad. You never know if you will be able to play music or not OR how long it will stay connected when it does connect. Hard to imagine putting this product on the market without working the bugs out. It has ruined my whole Spyder experience.
I have never had any problems as I learned how to use it. It was glitchy at first and I figured out how to get it to work. Yes, it wasn't complete when the models first came out but I played with it and enjoy it much better than trying to work a smartphone while riding. Much easier to use the joystick. Much easier to create routes on the smartphone compared to the Garmin units. Love being able to check my tire pressure easily.

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
I have never had any problems as I learned how to use it.
That wording is a bit unfortunate.
Kind of sounds like you are suggesting that others are incapable of learning.

Maybe you should start a "class" and charge other owners of the new models for helping them figure it out.
It appears that there would be a LARGE market for your services.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That wording is a bit unfortunate.
Kind of sounds like you are suggesting that others are incapable of learning.

Maybe you should start a "class" and charge other owners of the new models for helping them figure it out.
It appears that there would be a LARGE market for your services.
The one thing that bugs me is when someone buys a new bike and then tries to make it like their old one. One of the more popular mods is buying a new Spyder for much more than last year's and then spending even more having the old fashioned Garmin installed. What a waste. I know, it's their $$$$$$ but I've learned that any new thing you buy needs some time to play with it and figure it out. Once you do, you enjoy it even more. We're always going to be seeing new tech and if we don't keep up with it we loose.

Plus there are a lot of videos on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
The one thing that bugs me is when someone buys a new bike and then tries to make it like their old one.
What bugs ME is people who think their opinion is the only valid one.

A close second is those who automatically believe that everything "new" is better. Sometimes it isn't.

For getting a quick overview of a proposed route, you still can't beat a paper map in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What bugs ME is people who think their opinion is the only valid one.

A close second is those who automatically believe that everything "new" is better. Sometimes it isn't.

For getting a quick overview of a proposed route, you still can't beat a paper map in a lot of cases.
I'm not posting opinions. I don't always believe newer is better but when someone buys a newer bike they should expect new features and should learn how to use them instead of wasting it. I didn't know we were talking about maps as this subject is about the new tech dash some of the new Spyder's come with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What exactly would you call it then ??
Facts, just read the posts. I read many posts about how new owners want the old Garmin even when they buy the new ones with the tech dash. I read where riders want to add a brake lever because they miss it and one rider believed that since the front brakes provide 70% braking he wanted a front brake. Thinking the Spyder didn't come with front brakes. I read where riders want to change the brake pedal or add a heel peg like their last bike had so they didn't have to lift the foot. "My old bike had . . ." Comes up many times.

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
Facts, just read the posts.
Just because it came out of your head does NOT necessarily make it a fact.

People are allowed their own opinions......and none of them are "wrong".

YOu are creating an argument over OPINIONS and that is almost never productive.

And yes I like my integrated Garmin. It works right every time.

Just because things are new does not automatically make them better.

If you think that BRP changed over to making "enhanced" features available only via an owner provided cell phone.......you are being very short sighted. It was because of COST and PROFIT........and a LOT more owners hate it than like it, if you believe the ratio of posts that show up here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just because it came out of your head does NOT necessarily make it a fact.

People are allowed their own opinions......and none of them are "wrong".

YOu are creating an argument over OPINIONS and that is almost never productive.

And yes I like my integrated Garmin. It works right every time.

Just because things are new does not automatically make them better.

If you think that BRP changed over to making "enhanced" features available only via an owner provided cell phone.......you are being very short sighted. It was because of COST and PROFIT........and a LOT more owners hate it than like it, if you believe the ratio of posts that show up here.
I didn't say they were wrong. I'm saying that there are many that want to make the new bike like their old one. The fact that they are posting their opinions makes it a fact that it's happening. BRP is going tech because many other vehicles and motorcycles are doing it. Using Garmin on a smartphone is way easier than on a Garmin unit. If new owners actually tried to figure out the new dash they wouldn't hate it but since they're so far behind in technology is why they hate it.

Keep up with the new tech and new designs and you won't hate it. What's really funny is many spend much more $$$$ to buy the newest bike and then make it old and spending even more to do it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A gross ASSumption that definitely is not correct across the board.

Making your customers alpha test your new technology for you is a stupid game that I refuse to play.
Then don't buy anything new.

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
Then don't buy anything new.
That's a ridiculous statement to make.
But I guess it depends on your definition of "new".
I actually try to avoid Version 1 of any product.

Just because it is new does NOT also mean that it is not properly tested or that the design is defective on incomplete.

I try to reward companies that do their job right by buying their products........and NOT reward those who put out junk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's a ridiculous statement to make.
But I guess it depends on your definition of "new".
I actually try to avoid Version 1 of any product.

Just because it is new does NOT also mean that it is not properly tested or that the design is defective on incomplete.

I try to reward companies that do their job right by buying their products........and NOT reward those who put out junk.
Good for you. Let others figure it out then you will have it easier. I like to help and love to try new stuff and instead of complaining I share my thoughts and learn from others. Quite a few time someone new has taught me a thing or two, and that's what this is all about, helping each other and not putting them down.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts