Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having brake squeel problem? Mine is back @ the dealer now 4 times and 3 different type of brake pads (friction material) later still have it after we ride for about 100 + miles. No I am not riding the brake pedal. The bike is great except for this problem. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2009 RS only squeels when rolling backward when I first start it up rolling back out of my driveway.
I also have gotten that from time to time but, that does not bother me. It is when we are riding for at least 100 miles all of a sudden when I go to brake after gearing down that the squeel is so loud that it turns heads. So far the OEM has replaced the brake pads with 3 different updated pads...The last time we rode it was the rear wheel brake that started squeeling. Now I have found out that the OEM told the dealer to replace the rear rotor and pads... Well I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my 09 Spyder & rode it home from the dealer it had the most god awful noise and the dealership had just closed for the evening, but I took it back a few days later and they loosened the brakes a little and it helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is a '08 and I've learned to live with the squealing. The noise goes out after service with the dealer but it usually comes back after some riding. Here, south of the border, the heat, dust and dryness contribute a lot more to squeaky pads, but I think it's more of an issue with Spyders, 'cause I have 2 other bikes that doesn't have the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sqeeking brakes 2009 spyder

To let all of you know I, just picked my Spyder up the other after 4th. time for brakes....The OEM told the dealer to replace the rear rotor with new geration 3 pads...Drove 120 miles and guess what NO brake squeel!

I had told them the 3rd. time I brought it back that maybe they need to replace the rotors but, the OEM factory rep. said let's try the generation 3 pad. Now the Gen 3 pad stop the front brakes from squeeling but, it took a new rotor on the rear brake to eliminate it....We shall see how long it last and I hope it is forever.

I have owned too many different bikes in my time and this is the first time I had a problem with this. Overall though we love our Spyder. 02/14/2011.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My Brake Squeel

Just an FYI....Well after the 4th. time back to the dealership with just the rear brake squeeling the OEM authorized a new rear rotor & stage 3 pads.....So far & 400 miles no squeel!!!!

If you have a squeel problem & your Spyder is still under warranty keep taking it back unitl your problem is resolved. After all that is what warranty is for. I have owned too many bikes without any brake squeel....The tiny bit in reverse I, can live with. Thanks for all your comments. Spyderman_09.

·
Registered
33 Posts
deliverance

I get a tolerable squeel only in reverse. Unless it gets worse, I will live with this. Anybody think this will be a recall issue? ed mcmillan

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks for the info......I am going to be at the dealer on Monday to pick some stuff up and I will ask about the gen 3 pads. I thought I would just have to live with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had gen 3 pads installed, labor at my expense, put a couple of hundred miles on my'RS still honks backing up yesterday. I'm just wondering if my dealer really put new pads on or not. I'm thinking if my dealer is shady or not...you never know what they really do in the garage. They can tell you anything they want. Does anyone know how to tell if you really have "gen3" pads or not. The dealer could have just cleaned off the old pads and I would have to take their word.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts