Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2009 spyder (gs sm5 manual) and I try to replace the rear brake pads and the only thing I am not able to do is that the piston doesn't
go back to the full end so I can have enough space to put back the new ones.

I disconnected the parking brake spring, also tried to remove the stopper and I don't get any loose on the piston it just move a small amount and get blocked by something.

I also tried with the pusing tool I got. It seems there is something else is blocking

Do you have any tips on something I can do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The piston must be rotated clockwise while pushing it back into the caliper (many car calipers are like this too). The threads are rather easy to damage and, if you have unscrewed the piston counter-clockwise from the caliper, very difficult to restart.

I recommend you purchase Baja Ron's piston tool BAJARON's Can-Am Spyder Custom Rear Caliper Piston Retraction Tool - Brembo NEW | eBay

I bought my 2014 RT-S with 77K miles and as part of a maintenance baseline replaced the brake pads. The fronts were halfway worn but the rears were completely worn, which to me indicated the previous owner was not successful replacing them. Even using Baja Ron's tool the piston would not retract, probably because the worn pads allowed the piston to over extend from the caliper which damaged the threads.

I bought a complete rear caliper assembly on eBay, used Baja Ron's tool to retract the piston, and installed the new pads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts