Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Riders!
i am a long time HD rider and due a medical condition I recently lost my right leg. Please don’t feel sorry for me. Looking to purchase a Spyder and wanted to ask if anyone have been able to add hand brake or move pedal to left side. If so, how difficult and expensive?
thanks

· Registered
2018 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
203 Posts
Been through this.

Probably better to go for the brake lever option for better body stability, just saying as these Spyders have GEES where no motorcycle has them..

My mate went the lever way and likes it..... we looked at sorting the pedal option but binned it.

If you wanted a foot pedal , well I if you can turn a nut and have engineering skills you could make one up yourself to blend in ( yin yan ) with the oem slave cylinder set up and run a bit more brake line ...so Its do-able or visit a bloke and tell what you want.

We went for the plug n play brake lever. Money well spent at the end of the day., still got the wind in ya face. (y) Priceless.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
I have an ISCI hand lever installed.

At ~6 years old, I need a master cylinder rebuild.
The Master cylinder is a Harley part. This should be interesting.

Unless you have large, powerful hands, the hand lever will never give you the stopping power of a foot pedal
so you need to be extra cautious of things like following distance.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hello Riders!
i am a long time HD rider and due a medical condition I recently lost my right leg. Please don’t feel sorry for me. Looking to purchase a Spyder and wanted to ask if anyone have been able to add hand brake or move pedal to left side. If so, how difficult and expensive?
thanks
Friend, I don’t speak for everyone but it won’t surprise me if others feel the same way as I do. The furthest thing from my mind is feeling sorry for you. Quite the opposite actually. I respect your perseverance. Your project is going to inspire others including me to keep on going.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
I test rode a new Spyder RTL last week. I REALLY missed the hand brake. 90-95 % of the braking is done on the ft. Not a clue why someone thinks it would be dangerous on a 3-wheeler.
It is NOT a problem because the Spyder has computer controlled linked braking with ABS and stability control.
All 3 brakes operate all the time.

What would be REALLY dangerous would be to let the rider try and decide which brakes to use.

P.S. On a classic braking system, it is about 70% of the stopping power that occurs on the front.......during hard braking.
During routine riding, it depends on which brake you choose to use, but not using one or the other is a BAD habit.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a friend who lost his lower right leg in a Goldwing accident (hit by a car), bought a 2012 Spyder and had the ICSI hand brake installed. His original Spyder was hit by another car (left turned into him) and bent the frame. He replaced it with a 2015 RT-S and a mechanic with no Spyder experience installed the ISCI hand brake on the new roadster. I've looked at the ISCI installation instructions and it doesn't appear to be a difficult job if one has a decent set of mechanics tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts