Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Using my iPhone while riding, can I pair my phone to radio speakers
Yes but only to the speakers in a Bluetooth headset. If you have a 2018 or newer spyder then you pair to the bike with headset and smartphone.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
Yes but only to the speakers in a Bluetooth headset. If you have a 2018 or newer spyder then you pair to the bike with headset and smartphone.
2017 and prior: NO, not without extra hardware.

2018 and later.......I thought the main idea of the electronic dashboard WAS to be able to connect a smart phone to the dashboard and radio for audio output from the phone.........and that a headset introduces additional problems.

· Registered
128 Posts
The 2018 and newer models (except base & S) have different bluetooth to earlier models. You pair your headset/s and smartphone to the bike. Start whatever music you like on the phone. Turn the key on and wait for the system to boot and connect. (20-30 seconds) Then use the joystick to advance and control volume. The BRP Go app has easy instructions.

· Registered
128 Posts
If it really is so easy, why do so MANY owners have so much trouble that they HATE it ??
That was a rhetorical question.
Just because YOU find it easy means little to other people.
Because many don’t keep up with technology and don’t like reading instructions. So many times we read question after question on “how do I ?????” When all they need to do is read their owners manual. Same thing with learning anything, it requires reading and practicing to learn how something works. The BRP Go app has step by step instructions which aren’t very difficult to follow. I mean, if you’ve ever bluetooth paired your phone to anything then it’s just the same procedure to pair to the bike. If you can pair your headset to the phone then it’s no different pairing to the bike.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
Because many don’t keep up with technology and don’t like reading instructions.
OR maybe it is because the instructions are written for "techies" and FAR less people find that stuff easy than you seem to think.
The REASON that people can't get it to work isn't really important.
The FACT that they can't is VERY important.

Sometimes newer is not better.
When everything was wired together, it worked fine.

Even some new LED lights interfere with the bluetooth devices.

I hated the "integrated" electronics that required "apps" on a phone to work when it came out in cars.
I HATE it even more on bikes.

OH......and by the way......I've been an Electronics/Computer Technician for near to 60 years and do not see some of this new crap as "progress".

· Registered
128 Posts
Even some new LED lights interfere with the bluetooth devices.
OH......and by the way......I've been an Electronics/Computer Technician for near to 60 years and do not see some of this new crap as "progress".
I’m not an electronics technician nor a computer expert yet I found it easy to figure out. The instructions are not even technical and are very basic and easy to understand. I’ve read where many use the new system and have no problems.
I love it.
Less garbage all over the dash and I can keep my hands on the grips and don’t ride distracted.

LEDs interfering with vehicle electronics??? There are LED lights in all kinds of vehicles and they don’t interfere with the operation of them. I have them in my headlights and tail lights and undercarriage lights. No problems.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
Less garbage all over the dash and I can keep my hands on the grips and don’t ride distracted.

LEDs interfering with vehicle electronics???
My Spyder with a wired headset for the audio has no "garbage" on the dashboard.
Or certainly no more than what your "APPS" need to have you mess with.

And yes, some LEDs interfere with Bluetooth. Typically cheap ones from Asia that don't have FCC certification.
Look it up.

I am really happy that YOU are happy with your new setup.
But not everybody is.
I will never touch a Spyder newer than 2017 because of it.

· Registered
128 Posts
My Spyder with a wired headset for the audio has no "garbage" on the dashboard.
Or certainly no more than what your "APPS" need to have you mess with.

And yes, some LEDs interfere with Bluetooth. Typically cheap ones from Asia that don't have FCC certification.
Look it up.

I am really happy that YOU are happy with your new setup.
But not everybody is.
I will never touch a Spyder newer than 2017 because of it.
It’s your loss. So far I’ve known many that have added cheap LED lights and have not complained about any other problems. Bluetooth is being used everywhere and is unavoidable. Practically every new car/truck comes with it. Many motorcycles also have it. Honda, BMW, Harley and Can Am. You can even get a toaster with Bluetooth. It’s everywhere!

There are not a lot of apps to mess with. GPS and music along with tire pressure only when needed. set it up before you get moving. 8 apps total with some duplicates. So much easier to manipulate the joystick compared to trying to touch a Garmin or smartphone in the dash which is a distraction while driving.

Learn it and it’ll get easier.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
It’s your loss.
I respectfully disagree.
And you have no way to measure if it will get easier for any other individual or not.
But you seem to think your opinion is the only one that counts.

My new hearing aids have bluetooth........because it would be kind of unhandy to run a wire to the TV set.

But a wire is still the best choice for some things.

I can't help but wonder how things will perform if you are in a group of say 20 bikes and ALL of them are using multiple bluetooth channels to phone, to headsets and to other bikes.

My phone works fine too. Until I'm in a stadium with 50,000 other people all trying to use their phones at the same time.
Guess how good that works out.

· Banned
4 Posts
If it really is so easy, why do so MANY owners have so much trouble that they HATE it ??
You say “respectfully” but when YOU capitalize, you are SHOUTING, which is disrespectful. It sounds like YOUR opinion is the only one that counts. I suggest a handle change to UNeasy Rider.

· Registered
10 Posts

Some people don't realize there are different modes to Bluetooth, and in normal operation, it's not in "pairing" mode to discover another device. You have to put it in pairing mode.

On the bike, Short press the center button of the joystick to access menu • Go down and select “Settings” and press right • Select “Bluetooth” and press right • Select “Phone” and press right • Select “Add Phone” and press right. Bluetooth is now visible on the bike.

To put your iPhone in pairing mode, either turn Bluetooth off (disable it), wait a few seconds, then turn it back on again (enable it), or look for a setting that says something like "Bluetooth pairing mode", or reboot the phone, or power it off then back on again. One of those operations will work to put your phone in pairing mode.

You should google "how do I pair my iPhone with Bluetooth devices" for instructions for your phone.

Configuration steps on Bluetooth (usually) only need to be performed once.

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,897 Posts
You say “respectfully” but when YOU capitalize, you are SHOUTING, which is disrespectful. It sounds like YOUR opinion is the only one that counts. I suggest a handle change to UNeasy Rider.
And I suggest that you refrain from insulting the posting style of others here......or just leave.
Putting just one word in CAPS is a mechanism for emphasis.
I suggest that you try to contribute something useful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts