Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Without question, the first and most important mod to a Spyder is Capt. Jim's Smooth Spyder(TM) Belt Tensioner. Why the Spyder doesn't come with one defies engineering sense. As a aeronautical engineer and helicopter pilot, I can't imagine flying a helicopter with long kevlar belts without a belt tensioner. Just completed 400 miles with the Smooth Spyder and amazed at the silky smooth shifts, lack of vibration, and the elimination of belt slap. Everyone knows vibration is a killer with any machinery. The long-term use of the Smooth Spyder will substantially reduce wear and tear on the motor, transmission, wheel bearings ... AND every component on the bike. This is money well spent in preventative maintenance. A heavy-duty solid piece of engineering. Currently running the belt tension at 180 on the Kriket and working perfectly. Considering dropping it down to 150 whenever we ride two up considering the amount of belt shock when riding fully loaded.

Smooth Spyder(TM) Belt Tensioner www.smoothspyder.com

·
Registered
504 Posts
I looked on E bay and found an outlet that has 10. They are a bit spendy at $275.00 but if it smooths things and helps everything last longer it would be worth it. Just do a search for spyder belt tensioner. So if I order one how do you tell where you are at to start with and what tension you should set. Do I need to go back to the dealer to help me set it or can I tell somehow myself? I would hate to add something and think I am helping but actually making things worse due to my ignorance. My last Kawasaki sport bike that had a belt came with a tension guage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thinking bout getting the tensioner

Q. Will the belt tensioner void any warranty on the bike , I read some where bout drilling to install the tensioner !

·
Registered
306 Posts
Without question, the first and most important mod to a Spyder is Capt. Jim's Smooth Spyder(TM) Belt Tensioner. Why the Spyder doesn't come with one defies engineering sense. As a aeronautical engineer and helicopter pilot, I can't imagine flying a helicopter with long kevlar belts without a belt tensioner. Just completed 400 miles with the Smooth Spyder and amazed at the silky smooth shifts, lack of vibration, and the elimination of belt slap. Everyone knows vibration is a killer with any machinery. The long-term use of the Smooth Spyder will substantially reduce wear and tear on the motor, transmission, wheel bearings ... AND every component on the bike. This is money well spent in preventative maintenance. A heavy-duty solid piece of engineering. Currently running the belt tension at 180 on the Kriket and working perfectly. Considering dropping it down to 150 whenever we ride two up considering the amount of belt shock when riding fully loaded.

Smooth Spyder(TM) Belt Tensioner www.smoothspyder.com
180 on the Kriket is too high and might damage the bearings :confused:. I think the current recommended setting is 140 before adding the tensioner.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi E&Jspyder,
I have the belt tensioner for the RS. It does help with vibrations a lot. The version for the RS bolts on, however, I believe drilling is required for the RT version. Please check the website just to be certain. I don't think it will void your warranty, but again, contact a dealership and verify.

See the website: Belt Tensioner

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I got my shop to install mine as I can't get the rear up high enough to drill the holes.

It does NOT void your warranty, BUT does NOT get rid of the harmonic vibration most people have at around 47-55 MPH.

You have to be careful as it may move the belt towards the rear sprocket and then it rubs and it will break your belt

it comes with a gauge and tells you how much tension it should be at..

If you're not comfortable doing the work I would recommend getting your shop to do it, my shop ended up breaking one of the bolts and had a heck of a time finding a replacement

·
Registered
114 Posts
BRP should supply these

If a belt tensioner is beneficial, and many also choose to install a belt guard, why doesn't Can Am include them in the factory build?

I see the belt tensioner, is only made for RS models up to 2012 year.
So, does that mean a 2013 and newer models, doesn't need them?

Chas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts