Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to embark on a six month, government paid, trip to the Middle East. So I'm weighing taking my RTS out of commission doing full storage recommendations or having my wife tend it.

If my wife started the bike (not riding it) for a couple minutes twice a week would this be adequate to keep the battery up and things appropriately lubricated?

Also, how long can a Spyder sit inactive without having to tend the battery?
A week or two? A month? I imagine I'll be wanting a nice vacation upon returning home.

Thanks for any info.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMHO I would go for the battery tender. I have left my other bikes on them for 6 months or longer with no harm.. besides, the way I understand it, you have to get the rpm above 4K for the mag to do much charging..

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm about to embark on a six month, government paid, trip to the Middle East. So I'm weighing taking my RTS out of commission doing full storage recommendations or having my wife tend it.

If my wife started the bike (not riding it) for a couple minutes twice a week would this be adequate to keep the battery up and things appropriately lubricated?

A week or two? A month? I imagine I'll be wanting a nice vacation upon returning home.

Thanks for any info.

John
I'd go with the battery tender. As I inderstand it the magneto that changes the barrery does not get to full voltage until you get above 4000 RPM. Each start of the Spyder may not help charge the battery and maybe drain it more than it can charge it.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted her to take the MSF course and get her license, but she was always too busy...in her opinion.

With the tender, can you keep it on for six months without something blowing up?

I think I'll go with the tender and end-of-season prep. Be one less thing for her to fuss with.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the well wishes. I shall do my best to stay safe and take the best care of our warfighting heroes I can.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

Thanks for any info.

John
It is likely better to put it up as if it's a long winter..... if she does fire it up, she'll need to run it long enough to get it to full temp and run it up and down through the RPMs. Just starting it and stopping it actually does more harm than good, and as mentioned above, will take charge away from the battery unless the RPM's are high enough.

I've used this battery maintainer on everything from my Lawn Tractor and Cycle to my Viper and Ram Diesel.... it works fine and one of the vehicles have literally had it on constant for two years W/O any issues. I pick them up at Walmart, have four right now.

www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XM1-5-Maintainer-1.5-Amp/15140193

One thing you will for sure want to so is pump up the tires higher than norm to prevent flat-spotting while you are away.

Have a safe tour!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I want anything to do with the lovin' you all are sellin' (laughs).

I'll be checking out the Wal-Mart tender that was suggested as I get my last rides in before mothballing my Spidey.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say over inflate, do you mean over inflate according to BRPs suggested psi or inflate to printed psi on tires (30psi)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
When you say over inflate, do you mean over inflate according to BRPs suggested psi or inflate to printed psi on tires (30psi)?

Thanks.

I put in about 10-15 psi extra..... 45+/-. The goal is to decrease the "contact patch" to avoid flat spotting the tire while it sits not moving. Don't forget to lower the pressures back down when you come home.... or it will make for one slippery feeling ride!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Put the tender on it and change the oil when you get back. Starting and running it a few minutes once in a while does more harm than good. Like previous posters said, the mag won't kick in until 4,000 rpm and you wife will have enough on her hands with you gone to fool with your scoot.

Be safe and take care my friend, I have been there and done that during my 29 years of service to our wonderful country.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts