Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a RT - s 2011 and have only run it 60 mi . and had battery run down twice---- I called dealer and they said to put a battery tender on it which I always use on my bikes but not when going from motel to motel and such - what is going on here? Please help. :confused:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have just purchased a RT - s 2011 and have only run it 60 mi . and had battery run down twice---- I called dealer and they said to put a battery tender on it which I always use on my bikes but not when going from motel to motel and such - what is going on here? Please help. :confused:
Your dealer is giving you the runaround. Definitely not good service. I think you need a new battery and the dealer should replace it at no cost. How long did your RT sit on the showroom floor before you bought it? The reason I ask is that last year I purchased a Yamaha T-Max for the wife. It was a new 2009 and had been in the showroom for a year. When they prepped it for delivery they said it needed to stay in the service department overnight because the battery needed charging due to the long inactivity. Next day I took it home on a trailer and that afternoon when I was about to take it out for my first ride, nothing. The battery was so dead that it wouldn't even fire up the instrument panel. I called the dealer and voiced my displeasure. I think they knew they should have installed a new battery upon delivery instead of just charging the old one. In any case they sent a mechanic to my house with a new battery and he installed it in the driveway and I still had enough time to take a ride. They made it right with me and that is why I will continue to have both my Spyder and the wife's T-Max serviced at this dealership even though they are a bit expensive. Bottom line: Your dealer should do the same for you. David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David, The thing is I saw the Can-Am in the crate and it was taken out for me! They told me another one on the floor had a dead battery because the customers kept turning it on and off!!! Hope they did not give me that battery!!!! I have been testing it and it is 13.1 after charging and after overnight without Tender it is the same-- if i have turned it on to check something or set something it will go down to 12.9 but I brought it home the first time and drove it about a mile in the drive and then the weather got bad and it sat 2 days and I was trying to learn and set stuff- it then wouldn;t start- I charged it and drove it a little then it sat another couple days to wait on good weather to get inspected- Itried to start it and it wouldn;t start so I charged it again and the next day it started, rode 1 1/2 hrs. --- battery was still a little weaker but had not checked it with miltimeter until recently- meanwhile they told me a need to install a charger onboard for another $70. They recommeneded charging to when I bring it home- well, I travel cross country and most motels will not allow me to run a cord and charge and I would be embarrassed too!!! Yikes , plus someone could take the charger if I had not bought onboard one!! I probably already said most of this, sorry for repeat, Joan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Warranty Coverage - Battery

The warranty on my 2009 RS covered the battery for the first 6 months. It was right there in the Operator's Guide near the back where it describes the "Warranty Coverage Period". Hopefully your 2011 has similar coverage. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I've been catching a whiff of this at some other sites... The dealers simply aren't giving the batteries a full charge prior to installing them and sending the unwary new owner on their merry way...
If you hook one of these up to a Battery Tender, it could take over a day to give it a full charge, so be patient with it. (But I'd still insist that the dealer get you a new, and fully charged, battery!)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Squeaky wheel gets the grease - crawl all over that dealer and shame them into doing what they're supposed to be doing in the first place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
battery

I picked up my RT yesterday with my car trailer...got it home and it would not shift out of first gear (electric shift). Then would not start...battery dead.
Dealer picked it up from my house and installed a new battery and recommended a battery tender which I bought. Got it back today and everything is fine...I would recommend that you tell your dealer to charge the battery the night before you pick it up......

·
Registered
28 Posts
A 'Battery Tender" (Deltran) is not intended for charging batteries. It is intended for maintaining a charge. Using a BT to charge a battery can damage the Tender.

I've been catching a whiff of this at some other sites... The dealers simply aren't giving the batteries a full charge prior to installing them and sending the unwary new owner on their merry way...
If you hook one of these up to a Battery Tender, it could take over a day to give it a full charge, so be patient with it. (But I'd still insist that the dealer get you a new, and fully charged, battery!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't pretend to be the smartest bear in the woods, but when I get a new vehicle or battery, I put a charger on it at 2 amps for 24 hours. I don't drive the vehicle if possible and if I do I put the charger on as soon as I finish driving or riding. I use a battery tender 24/7 (I have six or seven) and find my batteries last much longer and they always start.

This is just me...I change out my motorcycle batteries every three years...whether they are good or bad! Some folks have a hard time with this but I don't want to get caught in Terlingua, TX with a dead m/c battery! To me it is cheap insurance.

With JoanJenn riding daily in travels, I would think the battery would receive enough charge from the daily ride once it received a full charge. Perhaps a bad battery or it was allowed to run down and never brought up to full charge at point of sale. Dealer is not doing their job.

JMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dead Battery

I bought my 2011 RT in April. When I picked it up I had to jump start it. It was a two hour drive home an I did not put the trickle charge on. Next day the battery was dead. Now the charger stays on it, but it won't even start. Now I have to bring it in for a third time with only 860 miles on it. I feel that BRP may have advanced the bells and whistles but, did not boost the battery output due to space being very restricted. To much drain on the battery. I'll see if the new battery does any better.Is there a stronger battery out there that will fit in the Spyder ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts