Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about the problems Spyder owners (I had mine for less than 1 week) are having with the battery posts, has anyone figured out what size it would be (metric, fine thread, course thread, etc. to screw a 1/2 inch long bolt into the threaded area in that barrel bolt on the positive side of the battery. Wouldn't this make connecting a battery harness such as one for say a connection for heated gear, etc much easier...???

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
all the Spyder stuff is metric

but don't know what size that would be

there are lots of ways to hook things up, but be carefull about just hooking up to the battery without a relay as these things can kill batteries real fast

·
Registered
42 Posts
DON'T DO IT !!!!!! Getting a bolt for the positive side....got mine at Lowes but forgot what size it is. The positive side is the least of your worries , you loosen the ground side and you're probably up a creek without a paddle because you can't easily tighten the bolt once you loosen it without a lot of frustration.I got lucky I think by wedging a screwdriver under the bar and applying pressure and it tightened back up....others have not been that lucky .It's a bolt in an oversized hole with a locking nylon nut on the other side which is almost impossible to get to.My suggestion from experience and other forums is.....DON'T LOOSEN IT.

·
Registered
306 Posts
DON'T DO IT !!!!!! Getting a bolt for the positive side....got mine at Lowes but forgot what size it is. The positive side is the least of your worries , you loosen the ground side and you're probably up a creek without a paddle because you can't easily tighten the bolt once you loosen it without a lot of frustration.I got lucky I think by wedging a screwdriver under the bar and applying pressure and it tightened back up....others have not been that lucky .It's a bolt in an oversized hole with a locking nylon nut on the other side which is almost impossible to get to.My suggestion from experience and other forums is.....DON'T LOOSEN IT.
Note winger is talking about the bolt under the seat not at the battery. I agree do not take this bolt loose, ask me why I know. You should check the battery connections at the battery regularly and the RT models seems to be VERY sensitive to a loose connection. Any power taps should be made at the battery. Many have a terminal or fuse block right off the battery so that only one connection is made to the actual post.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had to take the battery out of my RS to mount the release cable when I put the BRP back rest. Had no problems at all. Is this possibly something that is uniuque to the RT?

·
Registered
1 Posts
6mm ground bolt

If you losen the bolt on the negative side of the battery you find out real quick u shouldn't have ,because it is a 6mm bolt thru the frame with a nylon nut on the back that you can't get at to completely losen or tighten !.....I recommend cutting this bolt off,drill out the hole on the main wire and replace the accessory wire lead with a bigger one .Then put a 8 mm 3/4 long bolt thru them and it will thread right into the existing hole in the frame

·
Registered
89 Posts
The ground wire Jumper is on the opposite side of the battery to remove the battery remove the pannels on the seating position left side rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts