Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a new back tire for my RT and was wondering if anyone have put on a car tire on the RT. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
An authorized back tire for the Spyder should run you about $80... comparable to the price of a car tire, and the recommended replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
There has been an awful lot of discussion regarding this issue on other forums. Lately it appears that a consensus may have been reached! The Kendas are built for use on Motorcycles (Duh!) As a result, the construction could be considered a bit on the light side... Obviously a case of overinflation will cause the center of the tread to wear rapidly. Underinflation SHOULD wear the outer edges... It ain't happening that way! It seems that the tire "balloons" and will still wear out the center if it's underinflated as well! :eek: Either way... the center is toast!
As for me...I'm shoeing my Spyder with a FALKEN ZE 912

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Bob, what made you decide on the Falken?

How many labor hours you figure the shop will charge to change that baby out?

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I've been wsatching some other forums and Falken kept coming up; just as a "fringe" choice. I got tired of seeing BF Goodrich Speed this or that, so I started investigating this tire and decided that it's worth a shot...

I don't know how long it'll take them, but I'd bet the mortgage payment that it'd take ME an awful lot longer to attempt it myself... :eek:

Cupholder: Baker Built has one
Quick Release Cup Holder

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I have anyone put the tire on my RT or should I take it to a motorcycle shop. I have a car guy that will put it on. Is it OK to have him put it on!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would be interested in hearing how others have made out with other than factory original tires. My main concern centers around mixing different tires. I have always been a big believer in running matched tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rear tire falken

There has been an awful lot of discussion regarding this issue on other forums. Lately it appears that a consensus may have been reached! The Kendas are built for use on Motorcycles (Duh!) As a result, the construction could be considered a bit on the light side... Obviously a case of overinflation will cause the center of the tread to wear rapidly. Underinflation SHOULD wear the outer edges... It ain't happening that way! It seems that the tire "balloons" and will still wear out the center if it's underinflated as well! :eek: Either way... the center is toast!
As for me...I'm shoeing my Spyder with a FALKEN ZE 912
where do u find the falken z e 912 in the size 225/50 15

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of my hinges broke from one of my side compartments can I replace it or will I have to buy another one. What do I do?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Webb, give a call to the dealership where you'd get it repaired - they'll be able to tell you if there's a replacement part for the way yours broke. You could also google for the part; you may come up with what you need that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spyder Rt rear tire

I too am concerned about the wear of the tire centre. How many kilometers should I expect from the factory tire? Does your dealer do all the work when replacing? I was told my wheel would be brought to our local Harley dealership to have the new tire mounted on the rim. Can't believe I get to pay for the Harley guys to do the work. $$$$$:(

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
No offense meant to anyone, but the Can Am dealers in Arizona seem to be pretty new to servicing Spyders. I for one plan on double checking after any work is done on my Spyder. The responses to questions that I have gotten from 2 different dealers have not given given me warm and fuzzies. This forum has much better information than either dealer was able to give me.

Thanks to all that take the time to post their knowledge here! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back tire and drink holder for RT

Hey I am new but just wanted to let you know my factory tire in the rear went bald at 11,000 mile at correct pressure. I am changing to a TOYO Proxes 4 225/50R15 but waiting on dealer to see if they will put it on for me. It has a rating of 95V and built for a sports car. For a cup holder for a RT go to Products » Can-Am Spyder RT Accessories! He has one that works well and is made for a RT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Factory tires for the RT

Oh on the factory tires on the Spyder RT. Be careful of them I had one with only 5K on it and they said it came apart inside making it wobble so bad I couldn't even drive it and I was out on the road. A friend who has a 2010 needs his front tire aligned and no one had the tools in Lake Havasu or near it not even in Las Vegas. It took them a month to get tools to replace my water pump on my new 2012 Spyder RT Ltd which had oil coming out of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts