Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Automatic

Votes: 15 44.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I have a question for those of you who have experience with both the Spyder automatic and manual trannys. I have heard varying pros and cons depending on who I ask. So, I thought you guys could weigh in, or share your personal experiences, and vote in the poll I have provided. I'm specifically interested in the RS-SE and RS SM5. Thank you in advance!:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the '09 SE5 and thought it was good . Now have the 2010 RT w/auto tranny and it's soooo much better. Smoother, quieter and quicker shift. Wouldn't ride anything but a Spyder.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same concern. In the end, the dealer pushed me to buy the manual and I have been very, very pleased every since. I wasn't that experienced with manual clutches but after about 20 minutes in the parking lot, I was fine. Take the manual out to an open area and ride it for a bit doing practice starts and stops. You'll be great!

Brian

:confused:I have a question for those of you who have experience with both the Spyder automatic and manual trannys. I have heard varying pros and cons depending on who I ask. So, I thought you guys could weigh in, or share your personal experiences, and vote in the poll I have provided. I'm specifically interested in the RS-SE and RS SM5. Thank you in advance!:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the '09 SE5 and thought it was good . Now have the 2010 RT w/auto tranny and it's soooo much better. Smoother, quieter and quicker shift. Wouldn't ride anything but a Spyder.:D
PS: Forgot to mention that I'm a left leg amputee so impossible to use manual!:eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Manual or Automatic

I have a 2009 SM5 with a Klictronic shifter, but I find myself using the manual shifter instead. I've heard of too many people getting stuck in gear with the automatics. The way I see it, its just one more thing that can break. Keep it simple. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SE5 Recall

Well, the SE5 (Semi-Automatic) trannys are being recalled. I have a new RTS SE5, was my B-day present as of May 30th, and its being held hostage at the dealer awaiting parts for the recall that are back-orderd til June 28th. So, if you were not aware, you may want to go with the manual. Of course, this is just my experience, but the hassle with the SE5 just isn't worth it.

dav~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doreen, Looks like you and I are in the same boat.
I think it all comes down to how much risk aversion you have. Both systems will work well if properly adjusted. From my point of view, I am an ex-harley rider and I prefer to keep things simple so I am planning to go for a Manual version.

·
Registered
110 Posts
manuel automatic tranny

If you look on forum topics and go to shift problem You will see what has happened to my SE5 2009 GS since about 2000 miles I have had nothing but problems with the tranny I am going to the dealer for the 3rd time to have this repaired (Dealer is a good guy ) It is brp that seems not to be able to get this problem fixed. I am really disappointed in this bike, twice it almost got me in and accident at an intersection (no throttle response and no gears) Bill Steele.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the '09 SE5 and now have the 2010 RT with 6500 miles and never had a speck of trouble with either (AUTOMATIC) trannies! Last month I went on a 2800 mile trip with 3 Harleys, 1 Yamaha and held my own with all of them.

Also had an 09 Harley trike. Installed Klictronic shifter and I know it will not hold a candle to the Spyder (AUTOMATIC) tranny. Spyder (AUTOMATIC) is simpler to operate, smoother, quieter and quicker.:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome feedback from everybody!!! Thank you!!! As of today I am the proud owner of an '09 black on black Spyder! Ended up going with the manual tranny. Took both for a test drive, and preferred the manual over the auto klictronic. Your feedback and advice was very helpful. Thanks again to everyone who responded!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my Spyder this past Friday. Went for the Manual also. No regrets. Shifting is really smooth and robust. The gear indicator on the dash really helps to keep it all in check. Good riding to all new Spyder riders.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congratulations on the new Spyders and your choices. Good to have a choice!!!:D
PS: It's not Klictronic. That's a Brand name of a completely separate Tranny.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have a question about the manual tranny. How does the reverse work ? Is it still push button?? Layin' awake nights wondering.:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
1stfan, Reverse is just one more downshift from 1st. The only real trick is that it has an interlock lever on your clutch handle. You need to use your right hand to pull this interlock lever in as you downshift from 1st to get to Reverse. The interlock lever makes sure you are not accelerating when you try to shift into Reverse.
The reverse in the Spyder is actually a gear in the gearbox, not an electric motor like on the Gold Wing so you just let the clutch out slowly and the bike will start to reverse. No real need to accelerate as the gearing a very low, just use good clutch control.

To get out of Reverse you just upshift as normal but be careful as this gets you back to 1st gear. You need to do one more upshift to get back to Neutral.

·
Registered
61 Posts
1stfan, Reverse is just one more downshift from 1st. The only real trick is that it has an interlock lever on your clutch handle. You need to use your right hand to pull this interlock lever in as you downshift from 1st to get to Reverse. The interlock lever makes sure you are not accelerating when you try to shift into Reverse.
The reverse in the Spyder is actually a gear in the gearbox, not an electric motor like on the Gold Wing so you just let the clutch out slowly and the bike will start to reverse. No real need to accelerate as the gearing a very low, just use good clutch control.

To get out of Reverse you just upshift as normal but be careful as this gets you back to 1st gear. You need to do one more upshift to get back to Neutral.
Thanks!! I have a 2010 RT w/auto tranny so I assumed it was also in the gear box but was curious about the method used to get there with the manual. Had a Harley 09 trike w/klictronic for a while. Also had the mickey mouse elec reverse.:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts