Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I have problems with my back, the muscles near my neck become numb when my arms are stretched forward without armrests.
I really like to ride a motorcycle and I want to buy a trike.
Are there any options to install armrests on a motorcycle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can only sit on a chair with armrests, and maybe there is a possibility to install something similar on a trike?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could always try a Polaris slingshot. It's more like a car but has 3 wheels.

I've never seen driver armrests for a motorcycle that's not a passenger armrest. Maybe someone could fab something for you but other than that I think your our of luck.

I'd be worried about the armrest interfering with control of the bike or trike and that probably why no one makes one for thr driver liability would be a huge factor for the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I can only sit on a chair with armrests, and maybe there is a possibility to install something similar on a trike?
Highly unlikely.
But you can get a "bar extension" that allows for your elbows to be bent more.

You can test that out by putting something like a rolled up towel at the back of your seat to scoot you forward a bit to simulate the longer bars.

And you don't have to have both hands gripping the bars when you are "cruising".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Highly unlikely.
But you can get a "bar extension" that allows for your elbows to be bent more.

You can test that out by putting something like a rolled up towel at the back of your seat to scoot you forward a bit to simulate the longer bars.

And you don't have to have both hands gripping the bars when you are "cruising".
will I be able to turn with one hand when I go to a long distance? on a motorcycle, I could never do this, because it was dangerous

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
will I be able to turn with one hand when I go to a long distance? on a motorcycle, I could never do this, because it was dangerous
Listen, I don't intend for this to be an insult but what that really means is that you never REALLY learned to ride a 2-wheeled bike properly.
It is fairly easy to ride on 2 wheels with NO hands on the bars because you can "steer" with weight shifts.

But yes, you should be able to "steer" with only one hand for most all curves in an otherwise straight road.
If you can't, then that is because of fear and not because of mechanical design.
And you probably will find that you don't need to do that ALL of the time; just a change of position every few minutes to keep the muscles from cramping up.

And no the cruise is NOT adaptive or automatic. It disengages with application of the brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Listen, I don't intend for this to be an insult but what that really means is that you never REALLY learned to ride a 2-wheeled bike properly.
It is fairly easy to ride on 2 wheels with NO hands on the bars because you can "steer" with weight shifts.

But yes, you should be able to "steer" with only one hand for most all curves in an otherwise straight road.
If you can't, then that is because of fear and not because of mechanical design.
And you probably will find that you don't need to do that ALL of the time; just a change of position every few minutes to keep the muscles from cramping up.

And no the cruise is NOT adaptive or automatic. It disengages with application of the brake.
you just did not live in Russia, the roads here are very bad, releasing the steering wheel on a two-wheeled vehicle is fraught with consequences

·
Registered
29 Posts
IMO, riding a motorcycle, regardless of the number of wheels, is an activity that requires the rider to be on top of his/her game for his/her own safety. If riding a Spyder is your number one priority I suggest contacting a physical therapist about exercises to strengthen the muscles that give you problems. If that can't be done, do as someone else suggested, examine a Slingshot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts