Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
There is a n NTSB recall on certain models that requires the front sprocket be replaced at CanAm expense. If you have one of the models, you should call your dealer and make an appointment, DO NOT RIDE THE MACHINE UNTIL IT'S FIXED! Otherwise the machine may freeze up and you'll play hell moving it, it's frozen, period. Go on to "CanAm Spyder Recall" and see if your machine is affected. Mine is sitting in the garage and I can't move it. Call the dealer and have them order the sprocket ESPECIALLY FOR YOU> Most dealers have a trailer you can rent, locally at $75 that will carry the machine. It won't fit on the standard small trailer because the front wheels are too wide to get on the trailer.
When I take mine in for repairs ---- I'll have diagnostics run just to make sure everything else is in good order.
My Spyder is a 2017 F-3T

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,879 Posts
There is a n NTSB recall on certain models that requires the front sprocket be replaced at CanAm expense.
Most dealers have a trailer you can rent, locally at $75 that will carry the machine.
What does that have to do with armrests ??

IF your machine is in the recall AND it actually can not be moved because the sprocket has completely failed,
then the dealer should come and GET it as part of the recall.

But if you are not moving it just because of being extra cautious, that probably isn't necessary.
VERY few of them have failed completely and most reports of the ones that did caused it not to drive the rear wheel anymore. (Loss of power).

I am still riding mine while waiting for the part.......and I think most owners are doing the same.

· Registered
9 Posts

IF your machine is in the recall AND it actually can not be moved because the sprocket has completely failed,

But if you are not moving it just because of being extra cautious, that probably isn't necessary.
VERY few of them have failed completely and most reports of the ones that did caused it not to drive the rear wheel anymore. (Loss of power).

I am still riding mine while waiting for the part.......and I think most owners are doing the same.
When your system finally failes, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE THE SPYDER - IT'S LOCKED UP. Don't wait or you'll have more significant problems, I know this for certain, my F3T is locked up!!!

If you continue to ride the machine without having the recall accomplished you may soon discover the machine rear wheel will LOCK-UP and it will not move. I had the problem and it's sitting in the garage. Mine locked up after I parked it in my garage, so not a real big deal, but a pain in the butt just the same. I advised having the machine serviced right away, while it is still operational. The recall repair apparently takes only a few minutes, so advised taking it to the shop before it locks!

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,879 Posts
When your system finally failes, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE THE SPYDER - IT'S LOCKED UP. Don't wait or you'll have more significant problems, I know this for certain, my F3T is locked up!!!
This STILL has nothing to do with ARM RESTS.

And I think you might be mixing up two different things here.
The front sprocket total failure usually does NOT "lock up" the rear wheel.......but simply stops propelling the bike.
The parking brake is what usually locks it up.

SO.....yes this is an important subject.
BUT if you want to discuss it any more, please start a NEW thread with something like Front Sprocket Recall as the title.
Thank you.

· Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 2022 Sea to sky. Would like to add the passenger armrest.
Would anyone have any idea when these will be available?

View attachment 7311
Hi IcewaterDon. I have a 2021 Sea To Sky and recently installed the passenger armrests that I purchased from Slingmods. They are not stationary like these shown, but are on black powder coated arms that allow you to swing them out of the way and then pull them to where is most comfortable once you're sitting. When installing, you can set the tension of the swing arms to however loose/tight you want them to be.

My wife finds them really comfortable, as for almost 40 years we've been on Harleys, but on this Spyder she has mentioned, "I keep my hands on the side grips simply because I feel like I need somewhere to rest my arms or keep my hands when riding". Go to Slingmods.com and then choose your trike and year and it will list all of the aftermarket categories to choose from. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts