Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Apex riding course this weekend and I got relicensed to ride my spyder. We had people come from as far as Ohio to take this course and honestly, it was well worth the trip for them.

The first night was 3 hours in classroom reading a book. Boring but necessary. I was the only licensed rider in the course.

I was also the any manual transmission on the range. The instructor told me that scared him to begin with but once he saw me control the fricton zone and use the clutch to start, his fears went away.

I actually got into a argument with one of the instructors because we were not allow to go faster than 15 MPH and they expected me to shift into second. The spyder does not like second at that speed. He argued that I should in second between 10 and 20 MPH and then third. I told him if he didn't think that I could shift properly, we should follow me out to a real road and watch me ride. Which he did without my knowledge, he apparently followed me when I left the range for the day. He said he as prepared to follow me all the way home, but once he saw me ride under normal conditions all his concern went away. :D

I learned how to drift and how to bring one wheel off the ground around a turn. They taught all the basics too but as I soon learned, I had all those down. The other students in the class kept asking me why I was there. I gave a demonstration on how to shift for all the automatics because they could not wrap thier minds around 1 N 2 3 4 5, so on break, I got permission to demonstrate.

I know that this is going to sound corny so I appologize, but by the end of the second day, all the students felt like family. We helped each and encouraged each so nobody would dropped out. We watched each other for heat fatigue, volunteer to be the sacrafical first person on a course. It was a great show of support and friendship for people that just meant 12 hours eariler.

As for me, I helped each student learn about their bikes. How to lock the handbars, why their feet/legs were getting hot, how to bring the handbars back, stuff like that. Everything I learned here on this forum (Thank You).

My skills test was perfect and I missed three sidecar questions on the written test. What a great but tiring weekend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is the place. They really do offer a great class. It is called Trike/Sidecar but it was full of Spyder owners or soon to be Spyder owners.

·
Registered
570 Posts
@Bytemi - I think that they are used to teaching on motorcycles with small engines that can shift that early. Good thing that you stood up and said it was not safe or practical on YOUR Spyder.

My poor old Hayabusa would not go slower than 25MPH in first without requiring the clutch to be slipped. But it would go 85MPH in first if I wanted to!

BTW, excellent write up on your experience! My wife wants to get licensed and I'm looking at classes in Arizona.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
60 Days and over 1,000 miles on my Spyder, trust me I know her limitations and what she does and doesn't want to do.

As for a class in Arizona you can Google WinterGreen Motorcycle Safety Course to find a qualifying class in your area.

I think I would have been fine without the class, but I feel more confident now that I have completed the course. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,

You are always so supportive.

Thank you.

Adele :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More fun than you will ever know! :D

I am just so excited to find something that nobody thought I could do, but I have proved them wrong because not only can I do it, but I am good at it. :D

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
It's funny how we can find our abilities can stretch in the darndest directions! :)
I've got 20/360 vision in my left eye due to a detached retina, yet when I took up archery as a sport I somehow got REAL good at estimating the distances to the targets at the 3D tournaments that we attended. It turned out that all of the basic range practice that I did at 20 yards to improve my form kind of imprinted in my head... I could look at a distant target and cut the distance up in 20 yard pieces in order to figure things out! :D Drove my shooting partners NUTZ every time! :cool: My Missus couldn't figure distance to save her life... but if I whispered it to her... BANG! Another bullseye! So she won the trophies (LOTS of them!), and I'd trip and fall over every rock and stick I could in the woods! (Did I mention terminal clumsiness??):eek:

So has your "Hugsband" conceded yet how much cooler your Spoyder is than his ride? :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to bring a wheel off the ground in a turn?

Sip
You wouldn't but they were teaching us what to do if it does happen, so we are not surprised and over react. The nanny actually corrects quickly, but I could see why it would go badly if I had jerked or tried to put it back down myself. It was a don't do this lesson not a ride on two wheels lesson.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So has your "Hugsband" conceded yet how much cooler your Spoyder is than his ride? :D
I completely under how our limitations could help us in strange areas. :D

No my hubby will never admit that my bike is cooler than his. We are looking for two different things out of ride, so I can understand that.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts