Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 F3-T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. Would appreciate any and all ideas.
2017 F3-T 4950 miles
No problems until 3 weeks ago. Limp Home Mode message and bike stalled out. Could restart after waiting 10 minutes or so. Had it trailered to dealer for this as well as oil change and full once over. They claimed no error codes and finished rest of work. Picked it up and got about a mile before “Limp Home” again. Returned to dealer and left it with them. Again no error codes. They drove it successfully for about 20 miles with no problem. I picked it up and drove home about 50 miles with no problem. Two days later it failed within half mile on first ride since return. Left it alone for about a week. Put high octane fuel in it and idled it in driveway for an hour then successfully drove it all day. Today it shut down 3 times within 2 miles on way to work. After work idled it 15 minutes and home successfully. Any thoughts? Fuel…fuel filter…? I’m going to add some fuel injector cleaner tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
They claimed no error codes and finished rest of work. Picked it up and got about a mile before “Limp Home” again. Returned to dealer and left it with them. Again no error codes.
Some error codes are erased when the engine is turned OFF.
So any competent shop (do any of those really exist), should have told you to ride it to the shop when that happens AND DO NOT SHUT IT OFF until AFTER they have connected it to their BUDS computer.

·
Registered
2017 F3-T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback. Don't think I am on the brake pedal as I have ridden for several years. Will pay attention to that however. Will try to come up with error code next time it happens. I read that holding MODE SET and pushing in turn signal button will reveal it. I also did some more reading on this forum last night and was turned on to the Oil Pressure Sensor Switch as being possible problem. Rides normal after idling X number of minutes but fails from cold start and ride. I idled after work about 10 minutes and rode home fine after failing 3 times on way in earlier in the day. Thanks again. Safe travels.

·
Registered
2017 F3-T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you absolutely, positively sure that the oil level is right.....not too low or too high ???
Just had the oil changed. Have to assume it is good as problem occurred both before and after oil change. Rode it today without idling to have it error out. Gave me 6 error codes. All having to do with the ECM. Called dealer just to have him say that CanAm got hacked and have been unavailable to provide any information to them. Wants me to call back next week. Error codes are: U0100
U0101 U0122 U0259 U0128 and U0303. Sounds like its going to be expensive...Thanks for taking the time to address my post.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
Sounds like its going to be expensive...Thanks for taking the time to address my post.
Maybe not.
First, check the battery and all 4 of it's main connections.
And if it still has the original battery, it is approaching 6 years old and needs to be replaced regardless.
It seems that almost NO "technicians" these days really understand what the battery does or how to properly test one.

If you do put in a new battery, be sure it is fully charged and check the charging voltage after it's up and running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 F3-T 4950 miles
No problems until 3 weeks ago. Limp Home Mode message and bike stalled out. Could restart after waiting 10 minutes or so. Had it trailered to dealer for this as well as oil change and full once over. They claimed no error codes and finished rest of work. Picked it up and got about a mile before “Limp Home” again. Returned to dealer and left it with them. Again no error codes. They drove it successfully for about 20 miles with no problem. I picked it up and drove home about 50 miles with no problem. Two days later it failed within half mile on first ride since return. Left it alone for about a week. Put high octane fuel in it and idled it in driveway for an hour then successfully drove it all day. Today it shut down 3 times within 2 miles on way to work. After work idled it 15 minutes and home successfully. Any thoughts? Fuel…fuel filter…? I’m going to add some fuel injector cleaner tomorrow.
I had the same issue with 2014 RT 2 weeks ago. Oil and temp was fine. It ran fine after restart. After reading some other information I suspect my new boots were "riding" the break pedal a bit and the computer did not like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 F3-T 4950 miles
I have a 2010 can am Spyder rt. I had that issue also kept showing limp home mode. I was able to find the problem when I checked the fues box my issue was bad fuse couldn't figure out what was causing it. By chance decided to check the fuses.one was burned out replaced it good to go now. Give that a try to see if that helps let me know

·
Registered
2017 F3-T
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New battery came in. Replaced and left on trickle charger for a day before riding. Rode great until it didn’t. Same error codes after 4 miles. Will check fuses and oil level next. I have noticed that it idles at 800-900 rpm when troubled and at 1000 when ok. Will let you know…

·
Registered
7 Posts
My riding buddy has a 2021 Spyder and has had it in the shop several times for the limp home problem. Last time we went for a ride, we met at a service station where he filled up. When we got ready to leave, as soon as he started the engine, the limp home mode started. I asked him to shut it off and when he did, I removed the gas cap and put it back on and it started right up in normal mode. Several hours later we stopped for lunch and it did it again so, I did the gas cap thing and it started right up, again in normal mode and it was fine for the 150 mile ride home.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,665 Posts
Yes, He does OVER-fill the tank however, it could be the cap as when we went to lunch, the tank was approximately 1/2 full so it was not OVER-filled that time.
You don't understand the problem with overfilling.
When you DO that, it gets liquid fuel into the emission system plumbing where it should NOT be and it stays there virtually forever.......and causes a problem until it is fixed.
Do some forum searching for "evaporative emission canister".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts