Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Any Spyder riders in North GA? I am considering buying one, but haven't ridden one in the North GA / Western NC / TN mountains yet.

Any feedback on riding experience? Especially on the curvy turns.

What about gravel? Are spyders durable on the forest service roads or regular gravel roads?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Dawg!!

Spyders do so much better on gravel than any two-wheeled machine, its unreal. They've got stability control, ABS, and with the Y Factor, there's no worry that the back wheel will slide out from under you.

As far as other riders in GA, I can't help since I'm in Oklahoma, but hang around, You never know who will show up!

Sass

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sass

Much appreciated!

I wonder how Spyders ride on the forest service roads? They are hilly, curvy and steep at times...

Any feedback from others would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
N. GA Spyder driver

Jason,
I've had my Spyder for all of two weeks and I don't have an answer about off road stuff. I'd be hesitant about chipping and destroying the plastic (or what ever the pieces are) going off hard roads. As far as riding GA 60/19 or Wolf Pen Gap and all the others, you'll be really happy with the handling. It takes a while, longer than my two weeks, to become an expert, but I'm delighted with the handling now that I have experimented with different tire and shock pressures/settings. When I rode it home, it was horrible. Two days later I was on another site and right off realized how stupid I had been to not check before I purchased one. I ended up with 19 psi front tires and 28 on the rear and front shocks at the max setting of 5 (out of settings from 1 to 5) and rear air shock at 40 psi or so for solo. We'll figure out with pax as soon as my wife gets over what ever crud she's picked up from a grandson. I've put 1200+ miles on it and it's a joy. I'm still a little spastic on overcontrolling it in the wind, but county/state roads in the hills are fine. And 65 or so on the straight parts is comfortable where allowed. Go demo one, there are quite a few within 30 miles of Canton. We live just north of there a little. Glad to help you any way I can and hope to ride with you on hard surface roads when you get one.
Tuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tuck for all of your feedback!

Do you know any places that allow you to demo one? I would like to take an RT for a spin in the mountains before deciding to purchase one. I also have to take the motorcycle course, which I plan to do in the next few weeks and get some gear for the ride...

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hills are no problem for the Spyder, curves are fine, though I'd be cautious if the roads are dirt and potholed. As Tuck said, be careful of the potential breakage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FS Roads

Dawg,

I've had my Spyder RT for about 5 months, SWMBO got her GS about 2 weeks ago. Personally, I wouldn't be real comfortable on dirt Forest Service roads. These are belt drive and I would be leery of gravel getting in the belt and into the rear sprocket. Even well maintained country roads are a caution. But other than that, we have been over many of the roads in N Georgia and anticipate riding even more. Luv our spyders

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
LOL!!! Haven't heard SWMBO in awhile! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts