Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up friday morning at the dealer in Albemarle, NC and have close to 200 miles on it now. Been too hot to ride a lot but up early this sunday morn and about to hit the road to put some more on it. Excellent dealer, good prices, very accomodating. He led me on a ride last thursday on his bike with me on a manual shift demo and after we got back I tried one of his elect shifts and decided thats what I wanted. I asked if he could get a red one and he walked me back in the shop and pointed out this one in the crate. Rest of story is history. Have ordered a Utopia, radiator and catalytic sheidls and some foam slip overs for the grips.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
:D Congratulations on a great-looking ryde! :D
How are you doing with adapting to the feel of the Spyder out on the road? Some folks with a lot of motorcycle experience find them a bit unnerving at first... but one they get the hang of it... :cool:

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bob, after a couple hundred miles I started to feel more comfortable, at least enough to hit the interstate and run with the traffic. Curves tho, are another matter. No prob with easy type curves, the ones you can see around, but sharper ones find me slowing down much more than on a 2 wheeler. Trying various combinations of shock and air pressure and frankly don't see, or feel, a lot of diff. Right now I have the front shocks on full hard with tires 17 & 28. Somehow with the harder shocks it seem to "wander" more on normal roads, but seems better in curves. Don't make much sense I know, but thats how it seems to me. Gonna back them off a notch and try that.

Did a 598 mile oil/filter change today. What fun...4 hours in hot garage. Not so complicated, just tedious. Couldn't get the engine oil drain plug out and didn't want to strip it so I removed the filter and a lot of oil came out. Measured the old oil and it was exactly one gal so that left about 1/2 qt of old stuff. Added nearly 4 qts of Amsoil 10-40 cycle, what with our wx being in the mid-upper 90's. Parts guy at dealership said the BRP blend is 10-40 for summer and the full syn is 5-40 for winter. Not sure thats true but its what he said. I use my own judgement as to what to run. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll let them break lose the drain plug.

I'm gonna put in an order for a supply of Hiflo filters. If a buddy who also recently got the SE5 wants to order 8 and I get 8, the shipping if free, and the cost comes to about $5 each.

I've added the radiator block and catalytic deflectors that Scooter....? sells and they really do help. However, that radiator still cranks out a lot of heat from the lower opening that flows upward onto leg.

Would like to know if anyone has blocked off the lower opening also, and cut an opening in the bottom for the air to exhaust underneath ? Also would like to have a switch to turn the fan on at will rather than having it come on in the upper temp range and I think this would keep the water cool enough.

· Registered
3 Posts
I was talking to your dealer on Wednesday, June 22, about buying either a Limited or red one from them. Gave me best price of four dealers on phone, but I live in Cary, NC so they are farther away than Durham where I test rode one. Later that day, they called to ask if I was interested in the red one because they had an interested person. Maybe that was you! Congratulations!

We also bought a red RTS SE5 from Durham after negotiating a gps installed to match the price of Albermarle's quote for the white RT Limited. We're experiencing similar riding issues as you.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Leslee. Thanks for not buying "my" red one! lol. I would liked to have dealt with Winston-Salem but they don't allow demo rides so I went elsewhere. Actually rode out to Durham last monday, 20th, but they were closed; peaked in window and saw "your" red one.

Maybe if we locate other riders in the area we can organize a get togather for breakfast, and later on when its cooler perhaps a ride. It would be nice to meet other Can Am riders and compare notes. I have a friend with an RT in Greensboro. Perhaps around Burlington.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.