Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I dropped (actually towed) my Spyder to the dealer, he had a new recall. The parking brake spring is being recalled and replaced with a stronger one.

Funny thing is that on Saturday when my Spyder had the meltdown, the parking brake was not holding very well at all. Wonder if that caused the problems I had...

The parking brake would not hold on about a 10 degree slope. Wonder if that will cause the brake light to flicker, which then will cause the limp home mode to trigger and all sorts of other fun including tow truck rides!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if it did cause my issues this last weekend or not. I'm waiting for the dealer to figure it out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I called Can Am customer support today to find out more on this recall. The person that I talked with was not able to tell me anything beyond the description of the recall. He did indicate that I should have gotten a letter about this recall. I'm still waiting for the letter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I called Can-Am the other day to see what recall's, if any, were there for my bike. I bought it used and wanted to make sure there weren't any that were missed....and there wasn't. He told me which ones, actually there was only one, was for my bike and that it had been done. He also told me that not all recalls apply to all the Spyders and that I would recieve a letter by mail if there was ever one for mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am taking my 2009 SE5 into the shop for the 3000 mile check up. The parking brake needs massive adjustment as I am using a wheel chock now. Maybe it needs the recall. Alan

·
Registered
47 Posts
The brake spring upgrade is 2011-9 for the 2011 model and I think for the RT only...not sure of that, with no mention of the 2010 RT. I found out about it on another web site, with no letter from BRP. When I went in for my 3,000 checkup, the dealer did 2011-7 (software update for throttle body), 2011-8, new gromits on the RT and the spring. To my knowledge, no one got a letter on the brake spring...the dealer does it when they hook up the BUDS system and it tells if your VIN needs any upgrades.

If you buy a used Spyder, you can go to a dealer and check the VIN to see what service has been done on your machine...Not sure if you have to bring the Spyder in or just call the VIN no. to them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Brake Spring

I too experienced the Brake Spring recall when I took my Spyder in for a failed parking brake. To my surprise, the service writer asked me if I got a letter. I said no, I have an orange light and a rolling Spyder. So, spring replaced with no further bother, but in the process somehow disabled the auto suspension. (sigh) Back to dealer to correct that as well as the 12K check. More on that adventure later.

Patrick

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really sounds like Can Am is failing to send the recall notices. I was wondering if I had tossed mine as junk mail. But once again, disappointing support from corporate on a $28k bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Recalls

Took my 2011 Spyder limited to the dealer for the 600 mile checkup. There were 2 recalls. One on the emergency brake spring, the other for the grommets. Dealer was very helpful and I feel upfront with everything. The only other thing I had to have done was checking the left turn signal. It kept getting stuck..........they ordered a whole new assembly for the turn signals. Its all good!!!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The brake spring upgrade is 2011-9 for the 2011 model and I think for the RT only...not sure of that, with no mention of the 2010 RT. I found out about it on another web site, with no letter from BRP. When I went in for my 3,000 checkup, the dealer did 2011-7 (software update for throttle body), 2011-8, new gromits on the RT and the spring. To my knowledge, no one got a letter on the brake spring...the dealer does it when they hook up the BUDS system and it tells if you VIN needs any upgrades.

If you buy a used Spyder, you can go to a dealer and check the VIN to see what service has been done on your machine...Not sure if you have to bring the Spyder in or just call the VIN no. to them.
Hmm, I just brought my 2011 RT-S in for service. (Break in Service) The mentioned there was some recalls. (Didnt say what for) I wonder if they fixed my spring?! I too, have not received any type of documentation in the mail regarding a recall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So when I dropped (actually towed) my Spyder to the dealer, he had a new recall. The parking brake spring is being recalled and replaced with a stronger one.

Funny thing is that on Saturday when my Spyder had the meltdown, the parking brake was not holding very well at all. Wonder if that caused the problems I had...

The parking brake would not hold on about a 10 degree slope. Wonder if that will cause the brake light to flicker, which then will cause the limp home mode to trigger and all sorts of other fun including tow truck rides!
Had mine in for 600 mile check up,they replaced park brake spring under warranty.Ollies service in Alexandria Mn.Really good dealer helpful and they walk the walk,no run arounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure if it did cause my issues this last weekend or not. I'm waiting for the dealer to figure it out.
I'm somewhat disappointed with my 2011 RTSE5, bought new last month, after having the initial mandated warranty work and oil change done. The dash lit up like a Christmas Tree and then the "Limp Home Mode" message appeared on the LCD, as well as all kinds of warnings flickering on and off. I got the machine home, shut it off, and then tried to restart it. Nothing!

Called the dealer and a tech and service manager came to the house to get the bike started. After 45 minutes of checking stuff, one last attempt to start it was made and it fired up. Had it not the service manager was going to call for a tow truck. The Spyder was taken back to the shop for a checkup. Was told nothing but had the Spyder back later that day. On the way home I stopped for gas and then couldn't fire it up. Called the dealer to report this problem. A service guy walked me through two different start up procedures and still nothing. Then he had me flick the "Kill Button". After several flicks of the button the engine started.

For two days the Spyder started OK and then it wouldn't, right when I was trying to show it off to six friends who are each looking to buy one. They're not real interested in getting one now.

I flicked the Kill Button, pushed the Mode and Set Buttons, stepped on the brake pedal, and then turned of the ignition, and nothing. I then removed the key, reinserted it, waited for the Can Am Logo to appear, disappear, and then hit the Mode button and then the starter button. It fired. Next stop, again it wouldn't start. The next day, no problems starting it.

Yesterday, I wanted to move it out of my garage so I could have more room to work on a project, and, it wouldn't start. After 15 minutes of attempted starts it did start but ...

I was told that if the tranny's in Neutral there is no need to step on the brake pedal. Not true because the LCD showed the tranny was in 1st gear when I know I purposefully left it in N the night before. I know that because I gunned the engine slightly and let it go to an idle for several seconds before shutting it off.

Eventually, I got the Spyder started but was greeted with a "CHECK ENGINE" warning in the LCD and a lighted red engine icon on the RPM gauge side of the dash. After several seconds the message disappeared from the LCD and the engine icon light went off.

What I am is very "Disappointed" with this machine.

How can I suggest to my friends that is a dependable, fun ride when I'm having these issues with it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts