Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, folks. Nice forum that you have here.

Just some background - I've been riding motorcycles since 2003. Started on a Ninja 250 and have been on sportbikes ever since. I'm currently on a 2006 Speed Triple. I also rode a trackday on my previous bike, an R6, just last year.

I do enjoy riding, but I now have two kids, and nothing makes you think more about your own mortality than having children. Coincidentally, a local sportbike forum had a thread titled "Do you consider a Can-Am Spyder a motorcycle?" which got me thinking about the Spyder as a safer riding alternative...

I've read the threads started by Vhayne and TiltTheHorizon that were quite helpful, but can anyone else chime in a bit more on the sportbike to Spyder switch? Since I mentioned track days, has anyone taken their Spyder to the track? I presume that I'd have to take it to a car track day (as opposed to a motorcycle track day)?

I assume that you are limited to Can-Am dealers for servicing/technical issues, as opposed to local bike shops that have no manufacturer affiliations. Or am I wrong about that?

I use the Triple to commute, short backroad jaunts and longer trips into the mountains. I'd use the Spyder the same. Like a couple of other folks, I'm not thrilled with the Spyder's somewhat limited range re: fuel mileage, but my Speed Triple doesn't have great range either so I could live with it, I suppose.

I'd definitely choose the GS/RS manual models. I prefer a sportbike crouch and shifting manually.

I also note that I'd sell the Triple to get a Spyder, so the "best of both worlds" option will NOT be available to me. Sigh...

At any rate, if anyone could provide some feedback, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcom to a great community of people, you will hate the spyder for the first 10 to 20 rides if you are comming off a two wheeler they handle nothing a like, it will pull you into a soft corner, track with the cruves in the road and make more than your lips pucker going into a hard curve in short try not to compare it to your two wheeler. I have found driving it more like a car will help brake some of the two wheel habbits and the best way to get over that is to ride and ride a lot. I at one point said there is no way and was going to sell it ( only 4 rides in ) but I stuck with it now I have a Harley begging to be on the road and I just cant seem to park my Spyder. As far as safer I guess they are, if some one smacks you it wont matter if it's on the Spyder or a two wheeler its going to leave a mark lol. Best of luck to you on your quest

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
There's no doubt...kids change the picture for sure... :eek: In my mind the Spyders are a viable alternative to two-wheeled transportation. BUT... you've got some adapting to do in order for it to work! It'll feel more like an ATV or snowmobile than a motorcycle ever did. There's a ton of automotive technology lurking under the bodywork... If you decide to try one on for test ride, give it a chance to sink in before rushing to a judgement!
Happy hunting! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
377 Posts
The other members have answered most of your questions. As to where you can get a Spyder repaired you are pretty much stuck with a Can Am dealer. There may be some minor repairs a non Can Am shop can handle but I don't think there will be much they can do. David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts