CanamSpyderForums.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Polaris Rzr EPS 570 SXS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings one and all. Capt Steve here {retired commercial boat captain from San Diego. After riding motorcycles {87 BMW R80 RT, 2010 Harley Dyna Super Glide and then my 2017 Indian Springfield} for the last 8 years and 100,000 miles At age 69 I finally made the jump to my Spyder. The Indian was an awesome bike but at 875# it was getting to be a bit much to push around as I just turned 69 and my bride is 70. I was definitely not done riding so I finally scratched my long standing itch for a nice Can Am with a 2017 in gorgeous, Royal Blue {metal flake}. It has the auto trans which I love a bit more than I care to admit...

I added the belt guard as I occasionally see dirt roads and the larger brake pedal as well. The Spyder only had 5,025 miles and is in mint condition. I traded my Indian in paying $18,515 for the Spyder and accepting $12,500 in trade on the Springfield. For the last 7 years my bride and I have traveled all over the country in our 24' Class C motorhome usually pulling one of my bikes in a series of trailers culminating with our current {and probably last} trailer, a 6 X 10" {8' tall} cargo trailer.

To fit the Spyder into the trailer I had to move the cable anchors on the load ramp all the way outboard gaining me an additional 2" of width. It fits, but just barely with about 1 inch of clearance at the anchors but after that it is all good and I have and extra18" in length available. We have been averaging about 12,000 miles of riding a year and once our first winter in the mountains ends this spring we will be able to get back to logging some serious miles once again. Already planning a return trip to the southern Rockies of Colorado and northern New Mexico where the riding is off the chart beautiful. The warmer winter days see us out in the local mountains for day rides to Sedona, Flagstaff, Show Low and Roosevelt Lake to name a few.

I am still negotiating the learning curve after making the switch but have had no issues though it is hard to imagine two more vastly different rides than my old Indian and my new Spyder. I look for ward to gathering lots of knowledge from this Forum and will likely be an active member.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
It has the auto trans which I love a bit more than I care to admit...
Welcome. Me too.

Until I got a laser alignment and some different tires, my '17 RT wanted to dance all over the road; now it is much better.

Even with that, it took me several months and a few thousand miles for my subconscious brain to "unlearn" some of the things it was doing for me automatically.......that don't work on 3 wheels.

Be safe in your travels.
Hope you are going to get the vaccination before you mix it up with many "strangers" along the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bride and I will get the first available vaccination possible but social distancing when out riding has never been an issue. We pack our own food and drinks and wear masks/use hand sanitizer every time we enter enclosed spaces. I have no frame of reference as this is my first Can Am but clarify the "dance all over" comment for me. What did the alignment find, too much camber/caster, not enough? I think mine might benefit from some adjustment. My tires are the originals near as I can tell and show no signs of any uneven wear. The steering is sensitive but I am getting used to it but perhaps some adjustment would desensitize the road feel a tad.

:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
but clarify the "dance all over" comment for me. What did the alignment find, too much camber/caster, not enough?

The steering is sensitive but I am getting used to it but perhaps some adjustment would desensitize the road feel a tad.
The factory alignment is too close to ZERO.
Combine that with soft, light tires with a LOT of sidewall play and you have a vehicle that won't track good.
Or at least FEELS like it is not tracking good, causing the rider to over-compensate and make matters worse.

Try adding about 4 pounds of air to all the tires.....but don't go over the max. on the sidewall.
When I did that, the change was dramatic enough to convince me to invest in stiffer, heavier duty "car" tires.
The tread pattern is important too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory alignment is too close to ZERO.
Combine that with soft, light tires with a LOT of sidewall play and you have a vehicle that won't track good.
Or at least FEELS like it is not tracking good, causing the rider to over-compensate and make matters worse.

Try adding about 4 pounds of air to all the tires.....but don't go over the max. on the sidewall.
When I did that, the change was dramatic enough to convince me to invest in stiffer, heavier duty "car" tires.
The tread pattern is important too.

I spoke with the head of the service department at the dealer where I bought the Spyder. He agrees that a proper alignment would be the way to go first {before adding any after market gear}. They will do the laser alignment for $130 so as soon as the weather warms up a tad I will make the 75 mile run down off of the mountain to have it done. The ride home, 75 miles of mostly mountain twisties with a little interstate time thrown in leaving Phoenix will be a good test to see how much {if any?} improvement the new alignment actually made. Film at eleven...

:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
I spoke with the head of the service department at the dealer where I bought the Spyder.
This is good.
Just be sure that they are going to follow the alignment spec's provided by the Laser equipment maker and NOT that supplied by BRP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ER,

Thanks for the advice, you were spot on. Took my bike into Ride Now Surprise where I bought it and had them do the laser alignment. They then reset the computer to acknowledge the new settings as a base line point of reference. Since the morning temp was 22 degrees I elected to trailer the Spyder down the 107 miles from our home to the dealership {it's nice to have cargo trailer} instead of trying to ride in those conditions. It took an hour and OTD was $158. Trailered it home, unloaded and headed out AZ 260 up to the Mogollon Rim and quickly, and much to my delight, discovered that the Spyder handled waaaay better than before. The twitchiness was gone, it just tracked like it was on rails and I could not be more pleased.

Have not been able to ride as much as I would like, winter here in the mountains is like that but.... Spring, is just around the corner and I can't wait to start logging some serious mileage.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
This is a "pay it forward" thing.
Other owners gave me the information and I'm just passing it along.
Please check the air pressure in the tires. They might have left it way too high.
And when it comes time, remember that the handling probably can be improved even more with different tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a "pay it forward" thing.
Other owners gave me the information and I'm just passing it along.
Please check the air pressure in the tires. They might have left it way too high.
And when it comes time, remember that the handling probably can be improved even more with different tires.
Thanks again...After, or as part of, the alignment they reset the computer to reflect the corrected alignment which adjusts the input from the power steering and they checked/reset the tires to 22/28 which is where I try to keep them with good results. I have a 135 psi compressor with a 50' hose on a reel which makes topping anything up easy and accurate. I'm sure there are better tires out there but as mine only have 5K miles and look great I will stay with them until I start seeing some serious wear. What would be your recommendations for tires {front and rear}? Monday and Tuesday are suppose to get up into the mid sixties so I see a serious ride coming up if the weather cooperates.

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
I'm sure there are better tires out there but as mine only have 5K miles and look great I will stay with them until I start seeing some serious wear.
Anything but the stock Kenda's.
They really are CAR tires so there are several good choices.
I was so fed up with mine that I changed out the tires around 7K miles and was happy that I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts