Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2014 Spyder RT Limited SE 6 Silver matte 2012 Spyder RT Limited SE5 Bronze Lava Metallic.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of options out there, but do they fit? Any sage advice from RT owners that have changed their grips? Brand? Style? Size? Have looked at the Kurykan grips (LA Monster) but they require modifications to the existing grips and changes to the paddle shifter. The existing grips are a bit too skinny for my liking and cause some circulation issues in my hands on long rides. Any issues with the heated aspect? Your thoughts are appreciated.

· Registered
2017 RTL
79 Posts
Font Red Automotive design Automotive tire Screenshot
Font Red Automotive design Automotive tire Screenshot

Lamonster Garage has the leather like foam grips. I just has a set put on at the Spyders in the Ozarks Rally in Nixa Mo. a few weeks ago.
You will like them. They replaced a set of foam grips I had. Just put some hand sanitizer gel on the inside and slip them on. They don’t soak up water like the foam ones did. Just the right size for my hands.

· Registered
2014 Spyder RT Limited SE 6 Silver matte 2012 Spyder RT Limited SE5 Bronze Lava Metallic.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I did look at those but really want the leather style. I have ridden bikes with the kurykan style and like them a lot. They don’t make a specific grip for spyders and the La monster style requires a lot of modification to the existing. Hoping someone has maybe purchased another brand of that style and any pitfalls they had installing. I am assuming the bar size is 1” before I order.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops, meant to say I don’t really care for the leather style. I had leather wraps made for my 2012 and was not too impressed after using them for a couple of months.

· Registered
7 Posts
Oops, meant to say I don’t really care for the leather style. I had leather wraps made for my 2012 and was not too impressed after using them for a couple of months.
I happen to have insulated 1/2in copper pipe left over from a air conditioner install. I simply cut off 6in lengths of insulation, squirt a little hand sanitizer in them, and then slide them on. They don't slip and when they get compressed down too much, or start to split out, I tear them off and repeat. They last one riding season. Anyway, this is a 'no cost' solution for me.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I happen to have insulated 1/2in copper pipe left over from a air conditioner install. I simply cut off 6in lengths of insulation, squirt a little hand sanitizer in them, and then slide them on. They don't slip and when they get compressed down too much, or start to split out, I tear them off and repeat. They last one riding season. Anyway, this is a 'no cost' solution for me.
Interesting solution. I have foam on there now and doesn’t quite meet what I am looking for. Also, just watched the Finless Bob video on installing Kuryakin grips on his 2014. Just used grips for. Gold wing. Easy solution. Going to give it a try.

· Registered
6 Posts
Lots of options out there, but do they fit? Any sage advice from RT owners that have changed their grips? Brand? Style? Size? Have looked at the Kurykan grips (LA Monster) but they require modifications to the existing grips and changes to the paddle shifter. The existing grips are a bit too skinny for my liking and cause some circulation issues in my hands on long rides. Any issues with the heated aspect? Your thoughts are appreciated.
I use the foam grip covers and they enlarge the grip a little. Easy to put on and works great. I've had them on since 2018! Heated grips work great with them on too.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up buying the kuryakan grips model number for a goldwing with heated grips. A little tricky install as you need to modify the shift paddle with a dremel and trim off the raised end of the existing grip. Then just install and squeeze together. I had to use a c-clamp to get the halves to click together. FinlessBob has a good YouTube video on installing these grips. Big difference in comfort! Glad I got them.

· Registered
2016 RTS White
21 Posts
I've used the foam grips on a couple rides in the past. I bought the leather like from Lamonster and so far I like them better. The foam seam to wear really fast where my right thumb is on the grip. Maybe need to have a weaker grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts