Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of thought I pulled the pin and ordered a full set of Elka after market shocks. Was wondering if anyone else has changed shocks and what their impression was after the change.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2011 RT Limited. The stock shocks had too much roll for me. Didn't handle the curves well and cross winds were a real pain. I put Elka stage 1 shocks on the front. They configured the pre-load per my specs. All I had to do was install them which took me about an hour since I never done it before. (Could do it now in about 20 minutes.) These shocks were a huge improvement. Very little roll in turns but still a smooth ride. I can ride in heavy cross winds and the stability is much improved. I'm not constantly trying to make corrections. :)

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stage one fronts are also what was recomended for me on my RS. I got the stage three back shock with the hydrolic pre load so when my wife rides all I have to do is change the setting and I should feel no change even with her on the back. I ordered mine directly from Elka and talked with them for quite a while to make sure I got what I needed. I started with the heavy duty sway bar which helped but from what I have read the new shocks will make a huge difference in the handling. Hope so as this little project was a bit spendy.

Mike

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New shocks finally came this last week. I had my local dealer put them on for me on Friday and he helped get them dialed in. I have been on three fairly long rides and have been very impressed. It feels much more planted and am able to attack corners harder and with more confidence.

· Registered
3 Posts
Yes they will fit and should work better than the originals. However BRP does not recommend them on any model before 2011 due to the calibration of the Stability Control System. Same is true for the Elkas however this does not stop most people who wish to modify their Spyder's suspension systems.

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would seem to me that you would be able to update the "buds" to accomodate for the new shocks. When my mechanic put on my Elka's on my 2010 RS he didn't say anything about having to do this and I haven't had any issues as yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.