Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and looking into getting a Spyder semi-auto. I have Cerebral Palsy, have an M endorsement on my license and have a 3-wheeled scooter. I need something bigger and more dependable to keep up with my Harley-riding husband. I am mobile and teach High School. My scooter is a 300cc so I am not afraid of speed. The only issue I may have is actually getting on the thing. I can sit on the Harley and put my leg over in the front instead of over the back. I figure I can lean back and put my hand on the back hand-hold. If anyone has any better ideas I sure would appreciate it. I also noticed the foot pegs. They don't appear to be too low. I am pretty short and have not had a chance to go see one up close and personal. We plan to go sometime this week. Please tell me about reaching the brake pedal too. I know there is a mod where you can put a hand brake on the the handlebar. I'd love to get lots of information before I actually buy one.:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 2010 RS and put the ISCI hand brake conversion on mine. It works very well but is a little pricy at about $1,200.00 for the kit. As I said it works great and does not interfere with the use of the foot brake if desired. Once you see how it's made and how it works you will understand the price.

My wife also has mild CP and what she does when she rides with me is use the drivers left side peg and handle bar along with my right sholder to get on and off. She is able to clear the back rest that I put on when she rides with me.

One thing I found on the RS is that I didn't like the low handle bars that come stock. There are a lot of after market risers and bars available so if you find that you want them higher or closer look at all that are available to find the ones that work best for your riding comfort.

The RT I think has more comfortable handle bars but I still like my RS.

Another thing I put on my spyder that might be of interest is switchblade foot pegs. They have a piece that folds out for your heel and work pretty well. ISCS also makes floor boards that are adjustable that I might be looking into a little later on.

Hope this helps some.
Best of luck

Mike

·
Registered
504 Posts
The way Trailblazer described getting on the Harley she might be able to get on the RT easier than an RS from the pasenger seat and swinging her right leg over the front.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I talked with Billy Joe at ISCI yesterday and ordered a set of floor boards. I didn't realize that they are actually lower than the stock foot pegs. That is what finally sold me in that I will have a little more relaxed riding position. The boards for the RS though are not adjustable so Billy Joe asked what my in-seam was to get the boards right. They are really a great bunch!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts