Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a quadreplegic(paralysed and can use my arms and shoulders with limited finger movement) with years of motorcycle (motocross) experience before my injury (13 years ago). Am now ready to modify an RT to begin traveling with my wife (on the back) and am looking for as many EXISTING products to help me succeed (ie. air lowering suspension to transfer, braking system from the handle bars[not the regular hand brake lever], a way to use the semi auto shifter, and access to turn signals). I have noted foot rest panels and risers (Kewl Metal). Would anyone please help me with this?

Also, I am reading more and more about clutch, heat, and boiling fuel issues as examples. This bike seems perfect to modify or am I barking up the wrong tree? :)

Can anyone suggest a knowledgabe dealer that can help me and not be "These things are hard to get...this is what I've got, here's the price...take it or leave it." I live in North Carolina.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the 2010 RT w/6500 miles on it. Just went on a 2800 mile trip last month with absolutely NO problems. Hate the noisy brakes when backing. Book says check the oil every 300 miles and it will use some oil. They did something on the engine for 2010 to cause this problem so follow the book.
I'm a left leg amputee so the auto tannny is great for me. Paddle is easy to operate, depending on how much use you have with your fingers. Would use both hands for reverse but it's just pushing a button and pull the paddle. Both work with very little pressure.
Spyder is the greatest.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone suggest a knowledgabe dealer that can help me and not be "These things are hard to get...this is what I've got, here's the price...take it or leave it." I live in North Carolina.

Thank you in advance.
I have just begin to ride an SE5 2010 and I have a T10 injured. I got (and getting) a lot of help from James Mels at Mels Monter garage, Welcome to Mel's Monster Garage!
He made a wheelchair mount that's working perfect with a non foldable wheelchair. I'm living in Norway, so he made it even without the "real" chair. I will definitely recommend to get in touch with him.

The brakes are modified with the handbrake from ISCI, Spyder Parts, Industrial Specialty Company, Inc.

David at Home | RackItOn.com is also a paraplegic guy that can give you some ideas and tips in addition to fix some parts. He knows a lot of people too...

I'm pretty sure that everythings are possible, it's only the fanta$i that can set the limit$ :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I am a T8 papraplegic after a bike accident and am seriously concidering get a Spyder in order to put helmet on my head again. A car just is not the same as a bike (trike!). Now just need to organise the bucs for the Spyder!:eek:

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bob

It is not possible to remove Motorcycling from a real biker's vains (even if it have to be on three wheels these days)!:D

And life goes on. In the words of Bruce Springsteen: Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've bumped into Patrick Cottini at some west coast events. Patrick drives an SE and carries a collapsible wheelchair on the left side. He's currently involved in building/marketing adaptions to help others with physical limitations, as well as being a pro wheelchair athlete.

Patrick W. Cottini, 714 San Antonio dr. Chico, CA 95973 530 898-0914 [email protected]

pmdave

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW! You guys all have the spirits of champions... My hat is off to each and every one of you!
i was thinking the same thing!

While taking a demo ride at a spyder dealer yesterday, i met another customer
who only had use of his left arm. He was asking the dealer about how to move the throttle to the left grip, if it has been done, who (what shop) might be able to do it ect. Dealer seemed sympathetic but had no clue. Thought i would throw it out here to get you all's ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts