CanamSpyderForums.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out how a Spyder ABS system works.

I am working on an electric 3-wheel drag/straight-line experimental vehicle and I'd like to borrow the ABS system from a Spyder.

Could anyone please share information on how many sensors there are and if the system works standalone (pressure regulator, sensors, controller, without ECU)?

Thank you,

George

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
Good luck.
I think that question is WAY beyond the knowledge of our users on here.
But I might be surprised too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Vehicle Stability System of the 1330cc Spyders is called the "Nanny" by many members. For good reason as it enables Can-Am to offer a safe ride to many wanting an alternative to four wheels. You won't be able to adapt it to your project.

The VSS consists of four subsystems: Stability Control System (modulates brake pressures as needed); Anti-Lock Braking System (modulates brake pressures as needed); Electronic Brake Distribution (modulates brake pressures as needed); and Traction Control System (modulates throttle position and brake pressures as needed). The major component is the Vehicle Control Module which communicates with, among other items, the Engine Control Module via CANbus. I doubt documentation for the messages is available.

Two of many sensors to consider: Pillion Rider and Yaw Rate. For the PRS (it has three wires), what value would you set it to? For the YRS, where would you locate it? Along the longitudinal centerline of course but how high above the axles and with what fore-aft proportion?

Can-Am's VSS would be a useful and fascinating study project but adapting it to another vehicle design will not be successful.

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
You won't be able to adapt it to your project.

Can-Am's VSS would be a useful and fascinating study project but adapting it to another vehicle design will not be successful.
That is a rather presumptuous conclusion you have drawn there......given that you know NOTHING about the skills of the person asking.

:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Vehicle Stability System of the 1330cc Spyders is called the "Nanny" by many members. For good reason as it enables Can-Am to offer a safe ride to many wanting an alternative to four wheels. You won't be able to adapt it to your project.

The VSS consists of four subsystems: Stability Control System (modulates brake pressures as needed); Anti-Lock Braking System (modulates brake pressures as needed); Electronic Brake Distribution (modulates brake pressures as needed); and Traction Control System (modulates throttle position and brake pressures as needed). The major component is the Vehicle Control Module which communicates with, among other items, the Engine Control Module via CANbus. I doubt documentation for the messages is available.

Two of many sensors to consider: Pillion Rider and Yaw Rate. For the PRS (it has three wires), what value would you set it to? For the YRS, where would you locate it? Along the longitudinal centerline of course but how high above the axles and with what fore-aft proportion?

Thank you, Bert, for the very detailed information. I agree with your conclusion. Nothing is impossible, but this would be way too much effort to even try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts