CanamSpyderForums.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of surprising. The shop had one Spyder on the floor, so I finally got to sit on one. Since noone responded to my intial thread and answered any of my questions i was able to get that done at the shop too. Gas mileage around 60mpg? Is that correct? Trunk size, did not get exact measurements but I could reasonable see going to the grocery store and getting about 2 of the new bring your own shopping bags in there, just be careful with the crushable items.

The dealership was helpful but of the 2 guys there, neither had driven a Spyder, so they had no experience to speak of when I asked about if the machine had power steering or power assist steering. (Another question) Does the steering feel heavier with speed (power assist) or same as slow (power) or did the guy simply not know and was trying to bluff?

I sat down on the Spyder and I have kind of longish legs, is there adjustablility in the feet position? Salesman again was caught off guard by my question. Is the seating/leg/feet/shifter position adjustable/ customizable? Being sort of anti motorcycle, I still like the Spyder and could envision myself on one. Seems like a much cleaner sleeker sophisticated option for me.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Gas mileage around 60mpg?
This sounds high from all I've talked to, more like 35 mpg, when we asked about it at the homecoming the Rotax engineer said it was due to the torque being in the higher revs. He also said they were aware of the mileage concerns.

Trunk size, did not get exact measurements but I could reasonable see going to the grocery store and getting about 2 of the new bring your own shopping bags in there, just be careful with the crushable items.
I agree, based on my experience with a Honda Helix Scooter, you'd be amazed how much you'll get into the almost four times larger Spyder trunk, you now have at least two saddle bag options too, GIVI (see ad on upper right of the page) and Corbin.

The dealership was helpful but of the 2 guys there, neither had driven a Spyder, so they had no experience to speak of when I asked about if the machine had power steering or power assist steering. (Another question) Does the steering feel heavier with speed (power assist) or same as slow (power) or did the guy simply not know and was trying to bluff?
It has variable electric assist power steering, to me it "just felt right" at pretty much any speed, so I'd say they got the "variable" part right.

I sat down on the Spyder and I have kind of longish legs, is there adjustably in the feet position? Salesman again was caught off guard by my question. Is the seating/leg/feet/shifter position adjustable/ customizable? Being sort of anti motorcycle, I still like the Spyder and could envision myself on one. Seems like a much cleaner sleeker sophisticated option for me.
Not in the stock form, but several after-market folks offer highway peg brackets and I saw at least two owner customized foot-peg/brake/shifter set-ups at the Homecoming event.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
35mpg? WTF?

This sounds high from all I've talked to, more like 35 mpg, when we asked about it at the homecoming the Rotax engineer said it was due to the torque being in the higher revs. He also said they were aware of the mileage concerns.

I agree, based on my experience with a Honda Helix Scooter, you'd be amazed how much you'll get into the almost four times larger Spyder trunk, you now have at least two saddle bag options too, GIVI (see ad on upper right of the page) and Corbin.

It has variable electric assist power steering, to me it "just felt right" at pretty much any speed, so I'd say they got the "variable" part right.

Not in the stock form, but several after-market folks offer highway peg brackets and I saw at least two owner customized foot-peg/brake/shifter set-ups at the Homecoming event.

http://www.canamspyderforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC
03234.JPG
I can get that in my Miata if I really am mindful of operation. Not gaining anything there.

So as to the customizing of the foot pegs, I did not really ask the salesman since he had no riding experience, he hypothesized that they were adjustable(bluffing again?), in looking at the pictures am i correct in presuming that the forward shifter lever is for up shifting (toe) and the rear is for down shifting (heel)? Your left foot sort of pivots on the peg to perform this?

Steering, sounds like power assist which is what I have in the Mazda, feels heavier at speed keeps you from over steering the vehicle at speed.

I have looked at the touring hard side compartment options for the rear of the unit. I will not be buying a new unit, will snipe a used one at the price I will be willing to pay, hopefully someone will have those pre installed on the unit I want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The shifter you are looking at is a custom job, there is no heel-to-toe on the stock Spyder. You will not get 60 mpg. No matter how you ride, unless you coast a long way. If you want gas mileage stick with the Miata. If you want to have fun...go with the Spyder:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts