Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

5'1 female rider needs windshield advise please..

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob Denman 
#1 ·
I am about to order a windshield (when I bought my Spyder it had the lil sport one on it :p). I found one from Classic Cruiser that is $149 and it is 21 inches high. I am not sure what would be the right size for me due to the fact that I am so short. I would like the wind to be blocked but have not actually looked through a windshield yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :)

#2 ·
Hi Kristie!
Gee... Do you have anybody who can help you take some measurements? Take a 21" piece of anything, and hold it over your existing windshield while approximating the mounting location height based on what you know about the shield that you're interested in buying...
I know that the BRP to8uring windshields come in 23 and 25" heights; if you add the 1" riser block and are under 5'10" they suggest the 23" version...
(My Missus is also 5'1" and is always complaining that she lives in a world designed for Giants! :D)

#3 ·
Mine came with both a touring windshield as well as the stock windshield. In the cooler temperatures I prefer the touring variety, while the warmer months drive me to put on the shortie. I'm 5'4" and will be happy to measure my taller windshield if you like... I can see over it, but not feel much wind at all.

#4 ·
I have the BRP 23" and like it very much. I am also on the shorter side of things and am able to see quite well through the 23. For me if you get too tall of a windshield on an RS I think (my opinion only) that takes away from what the RS should look like. Just like the stock windshield on the RT looks perfect on it I think that the short sport windshield would look goofy even if you could put one on an RT.

#5 ·
Sassapnts - That would be great if you could measure it :). I'm thinking whether the windshield is 21" or 23", I may be looking through it (i'm still 4" shorter ;)). I wouldn't mind looking over it as long as it's not half in eye view and half out (if that makes sense?). I have never tried another windshield and I want to make sure I get the right one. I am looking for help with the wind. I've only been riding for about a month. I'm about ready for highway speed and I think I would like some wind protection (so I don't feel like i'm constantly hangin on tight ;)). I also have 3" risers....
Cory - I agree, too tall of a windshield does take away from the look. The sporty actually is barely noticeable and does look pretty cool. Just does nothing for wind protection :p.

#8 ·
Kristie, I'll be happy to measure it tomorrow for you! Are you of long body or long legs, or more evenly matched? My handlebars don't have any risers at this point, so that probably puts me right about where you are head-wise when riding.

#10 ·
Sass - yes, my body pretty much is just plain short everywhere ;). Meaning, legs aren't long, pretty preportioned. I am having a tough time with the clutch/lever too. My fingers and palm are so sore from the stretch. I thought they'd get used to it and toughen up, but they're killin me :p. Also my foot arch from trying to reach toe shifter. I was thinking of looking in to a heel/toe. I love riding the Spyder, I feel very safe and it's a blast. I'm just too darn short, I want to be comfortable.

#11 ·
Kristie, I've measured my touring windshield, and from the center arch at the bottom to the very top, its 24". From the screw hole at the bottom middle that attaches it to the bike to the very top of the windshield its just over 25". If you look at the pics I've got in my album, you'll see that there are hand guards formed on the windshield to keep the wind off of my hands, too. When I've got this windshield on, the top of it is about even with my chin. Keeps all of the wind off of me, except what comes across and hits the helmet. (Its summer, though, so my shortie windshield is on. Give me all the breeze I can get!)

As far as the hand strain from reaching for the clutch, do you have the lever adjusted to the smallest setting possible? You may have, and still be having trouble. Mine is and I am. I have been keeping my thumb lined up with my fingers, and using the heel of my hand to hold onto the handlebar when I reach for the clutch. Fingers are long enough to get a grip and still have my palm on the handlebar. Try that... may help, if you can still reach the clutch.

Try scooting forward a bit on the seat to help get closer to the shifter. Heel/toe shifter would help, I'm sure, but until you can get one, try to scooch up to the front of the seat.

#12 ·
Check with Inspector Gadget for a heel-toe shifter...
I've been digging around on the 'net looking for alternatives to the factory clutch lever... nothing has popped up as of yet...:eek:

Isn't the stocker somewhat adjustable? (SE 5 here on mine...)

#14 ·
Bob, the clutch handle is adjustable, but not enough on the short-handed side as we'd like.

Thanks for the links!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.