Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my thoughts on the RT A+C after 3 weeks and 5,727 km (3,559 mi).

Most of this was a 10-day trip of 4,435 km (2,756 mi):

This was from the central prairies (Saskatoon) to the west coast (Vancouver) and back, so a combination of divided highways, 2-lane mountain roads, and some in-town. Some of the mountain roads weren't what you'd call a highway (e.g., the Duffy Lake road [highway 99] to Whistler, with 15% grades and tight hair-pins).

This was our first 2-up longish trip, so it was a learning experience for my wife and I -- and for the new RT. (I've had a GS for 2 years, so had some expectations, and re-training, to deal with.)

The RT is a great tourer, especially on the highways. On the mountainous roads, the high CoG was noticeable, but not an issue. The shocks are set on the 2nd from the top setting, so maybe the top setting would have been better.

Riding posture is really good -- I could not have done this on the GS because of the forward-leaning riding position.

The SE5 is brilliant. (I'd still prefer the SM5 for the GS, though.)

Really like having the music options, but would be better if we could pause the iPod play.

I have my own Garmin 660 bolted onto the left-top of the dash board, which I think is better than the BRP location. It obscures the analog fuel gauge, but I disabled that, so having it default to the digital gauge was great.

We had a mixture of wet and cold (+6C) to warm (+26C) and sunny weather. The weather protection is very good and we were comfortable most of the time with a heated vest. The heated grips are great -- but I needed my heated gloves when it was below +7C or so (but that's because of lousy circulation).

Average speeds on the open roads was 100-120 kph (60-75 mph).
Fuel consumption = 338.3 L (89.4 US gal).
Average fuel consumption = 7.63 L/100 km (30.8 mi/US gal).
So it looks like the range is about 300 km / tank. The low fuel light comes on with around 7-8 L left, so at around 50 km left.

Had zero mechanical issues.

Got home to the DPS recall notice, though, in the mail (sent the day before we left).

Lot's of interest in the RT at every stop -- but only saw 1 other Spyder (a black RT in Kelowna) on the whole trip.

Bottom line: where are we going next?

·
Registered
40 Posts
hello .. did 10.000 km in the last 4 month here in austria - would write around the same .. also with my "cutted" shield (2inch lower) and still need more fuel than you .. and my GPS is also installed on the top-bord..
chris

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Thanks for the report, Rod! :D
So you got your I-Pod to play?? I've got some sort of cheap knock-off brand and I need an adapter to conntect it to the player's cord... It's got a Plug that ends in a USP plug and I'm stil looking for a way to get it to speak to the Spyder! :eek:
I bumped the preload on my front shocks up by one notch also and it helped a lot... but I'm riding much slower than you guys did!:eek:
Have you had any issues with the seat? Mine only lets me be nice and comfy for about an hour, and then my legs and er... bottom-end :rolleyes: start to complain. I'm looking at "Corbonizing" in the Spring...
Only one other Spyder??? What's wrong up there??? :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the report, Rod! :D
So you got your I-Pod to play?? I've got some sort of cheap knock-off brand and I need an adapter to conntect it to the player's cord... It's got a Plug that ends in a USP plug and I'm stil looking for a way to get it to speak to the Spyder! :eek:
I bumped the preload on my front shocks up by one notch also and it helped a lot... but I'm riding much slower than you guys did!:eek:
Have you had any issues with the seat? Mine only lets me be nice and comfy for about an hour, and then my legs and er... bottom-end :rolleyes: start to complain. I'm looking at "Corbonizing" in the Spring...
Only one other Spyder??? What's wrong up there??? :D
Hi Bob,
The seat wasn't great the first few days but was OK once I was broken in...

The iPod and iPhone connect fine, but all you can do from the controls is move the play either forward or backward, and adjust/mute the volume. We wanted to listen to an audio book but, without being able to pause, we soon gave up. And for some reason, when the rear controls are used to change the play, it forces the iPod out of random play into alphabetical mode. Nice having tunes, though!

Rod.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello .. did 10.000 km in the last 4 month here in austria - would write around the same .. also with my "cutted" shield (2inch lower) and still need more fuel than you .. and my GPS is also installed on the top-bord..
chris
Hi Chris,
10,000 km! You must have crossed Austria at least 6 times!! ;)

Cheers,
Rod.

·
Registered
40 Posts
visited the coast of italy three times and travell all around the alps here..
also had to change my seat - could`t find a position to ryde like with... my old
GS-Spyder .. you see it here -had some fights when i changed but i LOVE her

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
visited the coast of italy three times and travell all around the alps here..
also had to change my seat - could`t find a position to ryde like with... my old
GS-Spyder .. you see it here -had some fights when i changed but i LOVE her
You've added some very nice details -- like the silver stripe that continues through the seat. Looks great!

·
Registered
40 Posts
..thank you - when we got her she looked so FAT on the side of the GS .. my wife said she is unsporty and makes me older .. so drove to our "van-sticker" company to make a different look - the RT should be 2-coloured ..
you find more pics .. facebook: spyder-chris ..austria
sorry about my broken english..

·
Registered
20 Posts
good trip
i am half way through a 10 000km trip up and down the east coast of Australia not sure about 250km a tank my fuel light has consistantly came on at about 200km but we are towing a trailer so maybe 250 with out ..

Although before the trip i could only get 200 before the fuel light came on

Stu

·
Registered
40 Posts
in my old days I found an easy solution to transform some of my pics to a video-clip - was able to do that without the help of my kids :)
(stupeflix.com) would be nice to see some impressions of canada (visited halifax area some time ago) or australia (never seen..)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiJVau7-dJk]‪Can-am Sypder - Impressions from the Alps‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the information about stupeflix -- I didn't know about that and never know what to do with my photos.

Today is day 2 of a nearly 7000 km round trip from Saakatchewan to Montreal. Yesterday was great, but a little hot at 35-36C.

I'm solo going but my wife will be with me for the ride home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good trip
i am half way through a 10 000km trip up and down the east coast of Australia not sure about 250km a tank my fuel light has consistantly came on at about 200km but we are towing a trailer so maybe 250 with out ..

Although before the trip i could only get 200 before the fuel light came on

Stu
Today is day 2 of a 7000 km trip, and with nearly 9000 km on the RT I'm pretty consistently getting around 8L/100 km. But no trailer and am in the prairies, so really flat going. And I'm keeping my average speed to around 110kph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts